Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigerfan88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Canberra, ACT, Aus
Hi there,

I'm very much considering buying an iPod Touch (probably 8gb) to use as a PDA.

I'm not sure what kind of Apps i would be able to get to use on the touch however, that will make it do what I want.

Could anyone tell me if there are any kind of 'list making' applications, or organisers either on or available for the iPod touch? If so, are they any good. mostly, i just want it for to-do lists, shopping lists etc.

Also, what is the calendar function like?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Hi there,

I'm very much considering buying an iPod Touch (probably 8gb) to use as a PDA.

I'm not sure what kind of Apps i would be able to get to use on the touch however, that will make it do what I want.

Could anyone tell me if there are any kind of 'list making' applications, or organisers either on or available for the iPod touch? If so, are they any good. mostly, i just want it for to-do lists, shopping lists etc.

Your best bet is to download iTunes, go into the iTunes Store and browse the apps for yourself.

Brewerpaul

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Clifton Park,NY
I use mine largely as a PDA and love it.
The stock calendar is OK, but I use SaiSuke Lite which is a bit more useful.
There's a new one coming out (I forget the name) which will integrate calendar and a To Do list, so your upcoming tasks appear right on the appropriate calendar page. It's gonna cost something like $13, but if it is as good as it looks I'll buy it in a minute.

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
The standard calendar app should be sufficient for creating appointments, reminders with notes, etc

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
It's even better if you use MobileMe and are near an accessible network often...

tigerfan88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Canberra, ACT, Aus
Thanks for the great advice!
I had a look at the app store last night, and i even found a shopping list app - which i fell in love with lol.

I think i'm going go go and buy one on my lunch break. Then i can spend all weekend playing with it!

Apple makes me feel like such a child again sometimes :)

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
Im not sure if if I would get an ipod touch as a pda, just because it isn't primarily designed to be one.

Brewerpaul

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Clifton Park,NY
Im not sure if if I would get an ipod touch as a pda, just because it isn't primarily designed to be one.

I guess that depends on how much PDA flexibility you need. For my purposes, it works just fine PLUS I have a portable game machine, web browser and music player all in one nice little package. The iPT may not have been designed as a PDA, but Apple designed enough versatility into it that it serves the function pretty well. I expect it to get even better as more apps come out.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I'm still deciding if i can replace what i use my Palm for with the iPT. Not sure - every time i read another thread i say no, then the next says yes.

So i'll just keep reading for now....

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
It's even better if you use MobileMe and are near an accessible network often...

I agree ... It's best with Mobile me because of the syncing between your computer and touch.

I had a touch, before I upgraded to the iPhone, and it was the best PDA I have ever owned (I've owned many Palm Pilots & Sony Clei).

Original Poster ... Did you pick one up? What's your first impression?

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Agree.
This is my PDA as it has everthing I need to control my schedule. Lots of apps to intigrate with your basic iPod touch. I have added the AIM, facebook, dictionary, mobilefiles apps to suppliment the standard apps.

Brewerpaul

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Clifton Park,NY
I'm still deciding if i can replace what i use my Palm for with the iPT. Not sure - every time i read another thread i say no, then the next says yes.

So i'll just keep reading for now....

What are you using the Palm for that's in question.
FWIW-- I had two Palms before I got an iPT and used them all the time. As a nurse, the major thing I needed to have on a PDA was ePocrates (a drug database). Once I found out that there was a Touch version, I switched and haven't looked back.

niblum10

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2007
makes a perfect PDA for me. it works perfectly for managing my calenders and contacts. there are plenty of apps for to do lists and anything else that would be needed.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Here's a link to the website of the developers of the calendar/to-do app that I mentioned previously. It's been submitted to Apple, but has not yet been added to the iTunes store:

http://www.pocketinformant.com/products_info.php?p_id=pocketinformant_iphone

I am anxiously awaiting this app...I've used Pocket Informant on Windows Mobile, and it is a fabulous amazing wonderful program. It does a lot, possibly more than what some users will need, but given a choice between PI and the stock POS iPhone calendar? I'd pay triple what they're projecting for it!

tigerfan88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
Canberra, ACT, Aus
Hawkeye411: Original Poster ... Did you pick one up? What's your first impression?

I sure did, and I'm absolutely in love with it! I played with it around the house for a while, but didn't dare take it out with me until i got a case for it :) I'd be horrified if it got broken.

For my purposes, it works just fine PLUS I have a portable game machine, web browser and music player all in one nice little package

Tha's what I've found. I didn't need a PDA as such, just something digital too keep all my notes together and keep me organised. The email and safari function is great too.

I spent a whole hour in McDonalds the other day to use their free wi-fi and set up all my email addresses. lol

I'm also in love with some game apps, they keep me entertained all day :D

Thanks again for all the advice! I'm so glad I went and got one, even my (PC loving) boyfriend thinks it's fantastic!

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I spent a whole hour in McDonalds the other day to use their free wi-fi and set up all my email addresses. lol
I have to laugh at this... my 13yo DD told me she is saving up for an iPT and she was going to sit all day at McD's using their free wi-fi. I asked her how she was going to get to McD's! LOL!!

Anyway, you had to be there - but your comment made me laugh.

Thanks again for all the advice! I'm so glad I went and got one, even my (PC loving) boyfriend thinks it's fantastic!

I'm glad it's working well for you! I'll keep reading how everyone is doing using it as a PDA. I have the games covered :D

Brewerpaul

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2008
Clifton Park,NY
I did get Pocket Informant, and it's really TERRIFIC. I'm not up for writing a full review, but suffice it to say it does just about everything I want a calendar/tasks app to do and more. I even have it set to send me email reminders of events!

xeller

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Well I recently purchased an ipod Touch but I can not (yet) replace my Sony Clie pda.

I use my Clie for the PIM function and Reading. I also do some simple spreadsheet things (check balance, etc.) and to store my passwords. Most importantly, the information stored on it is secure to my satisfaction.

I got a great deal on the ipod so I purchased it a little sooner than what I planned on. So I basically looked at the apps and decided what I needed to replace my pda.

PIM functions - I find the Apple calendar/notes/contacts apps are useless for me. I don't even use them on my desktop Mac. I may look into momo (memo, sync, diary) or Pocket Informant.

Reading - Stanza replaces my beloved iSilo. Although there is an ipod Touch version, but right now, Stanza is working pretty well. I haven't converted my .pdb files over yet, but I don't think this will be an issue.

Spreadsheet - Balance app is working, but I need something a little bit more robust. I am using Docs to Go on my clie and hopefully the makers will have the ipod Touch version soon.

Passwords - 1Password replaces the free and simple Yap password program.

The 4 numbered passcode on the ipod Touch is lacking and I need to feel confident that in the event that I lose or the ipod is stolen, the information will be hard to retrieve. I have that with my clie, but not with my ipod. The ipod stays at home, but the Clie is always with me.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Passwords - 1Password replaces the free and simple Yap password program.

The 4 numbered passcode on the ipod Touch is lacking and I need to feel confident that in the event that I lose or the ipod is stolen, the information will be hard to retrieve. I have that with my clie, but not with my ipod. The ipod stays at home, but the Clie is always with me.

Thanks for sharing your observations so far - it helps me! I have a hard time pinning down what i'd have the most issues with. In some ways i'm probably over thinking it because my Palm use has changed so much over time. I'm pretty simple right now, but the fact that i have the ability to do more is important too.

Have you looked at SplashID? not free, but i'm assuming it's pretty secure.

http://www.splashdata.com/splashid/iphone/

Kltdefer

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2008
One program to consider that I thing is worth it is - Things. It's $45 but worth it. They have an app for ipod touch (things for iphone) that syncs nicely.

enjoy your touch :D

thornev

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2008
Upstate New York
I cannot replace my Palm Centro with iPod Touch. Palm has so many more applications with much more functionality than Touch. The way I see it, Apple's platform is very closed so its applications are rather restricted to what they can do (the tradeoff is overall stability). I use very sophisticated phone books (TealPhone) and datebooks (DateBk6) and there just are no equivalents for the Touch. I like the touch screen interface, so I'll probably be looking at a Samsung Omnia. I use my touch for some really cool apps (star maps and games, WiFi) and music, but that's about it. thorne

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
Cool I don't have to start a new thread.

I am a long time palm user, and since they have decided to no longer make a stand alone pda, I was wondering about the touch as a replacement,

Does it have most of the iphone functionality (app download through wifi )
minus the camera and the phone functionality?

And can you jailbreak it as well?

I had thought about the iphone originally but like the pre, I am just not up for paying the exorbitant data rates to warrant the move.

I was, and still am a little ambivalent about capcative touch screen, but have recently learned that their are styluses now available.

(I draw, and write notes on the palm occasionally)

hydrokayak

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Lancaster, NH
What are you using the Palm for that's in question.
FWIW-- I had two Palms before I got an iPT and used them all the time. As a nurse, the major thing I needed to have on a PDA was ePocrates (a drug database). Once I found out that there was a Touch version, I switched and haven't looked back.

Any other recommendations for nursing software. I have a Palm TX, and use epocrates, a nursing diagnoses program (still a student) and Taber's Cyclopedic. Epocrates is freel, Tabers is $50, and I'd like to find a diagnoses program...

Any suggestions to free or cheap programs for nursing... I've decided I'm junking the PDA... it's slow, it freezes, and the internet is terrible on it!

And this IS a PDA for me. I've got an iPod Classic, and it serves one purpose...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.