ipod touch to WMB54G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by csmitty, Oct 24, 2007.

1. csmitty macrumors regular

Any idea if this will work at all? I hear it has to be connected to the PC but wondering if it could just use an ip address as this would be really cools

2. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

You can't directly plug your iPod Touch into your router, if that is what you are asking. It has to be a true WiFi connection.

3. csmitty thread starter macrumors regular

Well what i was referring to is that you have to plug WMB54G into the computer so that the computer sees it or something or configures it i dunno. then you plug the WMB54G into your stero. This allows you to send audio from your computer to your stereo over WLAN. So I was wondering if anyone had one, knew enough, to be able to tell if you could just configure the WMB54G to accept audio from an IP address, say the touchs.

Which would be really sweet to walk around the house and play what ever music was on your ipod on your stero and adjust volume and everything. It is possible im sure to use this how its intended ( music from computer to stereo) and use the signal program to control itunes from your touch. just cant change volume and also it seems to be alittle buggy. (still a cool program none the less)

So thats what ive been pondering. and also why everything time i hit the button next to enter, i forget the name of the punctuation mark, that firefox thinks im trying to find something. rather annoying

4. tonywalk macrumors member

Erm...you can already do that.

Buy a Squeezebox. Run their Slimserver software on PC/Mac/Linux/NAS. You can control the Squeezebox through Safari on the Touch as Slimserver also acts as a web server and allows you to control what each player is currently playing.

Must look at designing a skin for that control webpage to make it a bit more Touch friendly.

Regards,
    Tony.

5. csmitty thread starter macrumors regular

I had heard of those but the reviews didn't seem too great. But if the linksys isn't capable then i might have to give one a try. not to mention the linksys is $200 cheaper.

thanks

6. tonywalk macrumors member

You can give the whole squeezebox thing a trial run. Install the Slimserver on your PC and OS of choice, then point a web browser at port 9000 of that PC's IP address (i.e. http://192.168.1.1:9000) or http://127.0.0.1:9000 if its the same PC. It won't cost you a penny either as the software is free.

When the page displays you get the controling web page for the server on the left of the page and any player on the right.

2nd to last item at the bottom on the left under help is "Softsqueeze". This will let you install a software emulation of the hardware player either on the same computer or a different one. In fact you can emulate one of several of Slim Devices products that use the same basic modus operandi.

Personally, I'm very happy with mine. There are one or two minor glitches and freezes with the software player that I haven't come across with the proper hardware one.

Have fun,
    Tony.

7. csmitty thread starter macrumors regular

Ah cool, thanks. It sounds a bit like that signal program listed on the apple web apps.

If i get some extra change i might give one a try. was just tryin to do it on the cheap. I was just gonna set up an old computer close to the stereo and hook up the line out. but my wireless card won't accept WPA for some reason and the iPod won't do WEP. Oh well.

thanks for the info.