Ipod touch took a drink

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iphoneIA, Jul 11, 2011.

1. iphoneIA macrumors regular

My IPod Touch took a drink today in the toilet courtesy of my youngest daugther (who is a year old). My oldest two daughters were playing games on it and they left it were she could get it and low a behold when I went to go to the bathroom there is was sitting at the bottom. After fishing it out it is now in a bag of rice and I will wait to see what happens. I do have my Iphone 4 so I am not lost. I hope the bag of rice works so my girls can have something to play with when we are out and about.

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Commiserations on the water immersion of iTouch. Leaving it in a bag of rice sounds like a good idea. All of the threads which discuss this topic (there are embarrassingly many actually) also suggest that on no account whatsoever should it be switched on (even if curiousity keeps whispering in your ear to check on whether it has survived its plunge into the world of liquids), for at least a few days. Otherwise, the electronics inside run the risk of being fried while there is still any sort of liquid residue.

Good luck with it

Cheers

3. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Definitely agree, DO NOT be tempted to turn it on for at least two weeks, leave it in a dry place and maybe change the rice after a week or so. If it was just water that it was sitting in, you might get lucky. I would guess that urine is worse as it's more corrosive due to the salt content?

4. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

I've always wondered, can the device fry itself during this time by tring to display a notification or something?

5. iphoneIA thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys. I have it on top of my fridge and will leave it there for the next week or so.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I would wait a month ... changing the rice weekly.

you did say that you have an iPhone for back-up so there is no rush to turn it on

7. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I think the device would probably shut itself off because of the short circuit that inevitably occurs. But even if it didn't shut itself off, there is no mobile signal underwater as RF signals can't penetrate water :)

8. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Sounds about right... You learn something every day. Thanks.