Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

westsurf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew of an application that could be installed on an Ipod touch to help a 'brain damaged' friend.

He has recently had a brain tumour and stroke and is partially parilysed down one side. Due to his paralysis he cannot speak well enough to be understod NOR can he write due to his writing hand being paralysed.

We thought that he may be able to 'type' simple message on an Ipod touch screen keyboard. However, the only application on a Ipod touch that involves the keyboard is Safari (?).

As I am in Australia a Ihone is not available.

Can the Iphone email app or notes be ported to a jailbroken Ipod Touch.

If any one has any idea please post them. :)

As you can imagine for a man to go from happy healthy to paralyzed is devastating. To not be able to communicate to wife, family and friends is even worse.

Any help greatly appreciated.

albinoAZN

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
hello!
If you were to jailbreak the iPod touch, you could install a notes application (I think). This can be used as a way for your friend to type up his thoughts. There are plenty of guides on how to jailbreak iPod touch around this forum.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iTouch 1.1.2 (JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Yes, Notes can be installed on a JB'd Touch. That's an interesting idea, and possibly a great way to help your friend. :)

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Yes, you can install programs like that when you jailbreak, but don't post two threads with the same subject again just for more attention to the topic. It's unfair to others who also have questions.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
This would be an excellent solution only if he has good coordination in his hands. It takes a bit of practice to be able to type fluently on the iPod.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I'd recommend that you whip up a little web-app that let's you type things out. Only reason I'd recommend that is because Safari is the only app that lets you type with the horizontal keyboard, which is larger and might be considerably easier to type on.

westsurf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Apologies

Yes, you can install programs like that when you jailbreak, but don't post two threads with the same subject again just for more attention to the topic. It's unfair to others who also have questions.

I'm sorry for that occurring. I had issues with my browser when I posted. I didn't think the first post worked. Could a mod delete the other thread?

Thank you for everyone's help. I'm not a web app person so we are going for the notes option.

Will be delivered tomorrow. :)

Draythor

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Exeter University, UK
Yeah, Jail breaking and installing notes and email is very simple. There are several tutorials on how to do this in the iPod Touch hacks forum.

Web Apps only work where WiFi is available, Notes works anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.