iPod Touch update in another PC

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jose Fajis, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Jose Fajis macrumors newbie

Jose Fajis

Hi, i wanna know if I can update my Touch in other PC where it is not initially synced. All my data will be deleted and synced the new data in this PC?:confused:

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yes if you restore on a computer that is not the original pc to where your music is then you will loose the music.

as syncing is set to manual you should be ok to update on another pc and still keep your music......... in theory

3. Jose Fajis thread starter macrumors newbie

Jose Fajis

ok thanks, think I have to wait until next week to have 3.0:(

4. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

press SHIFT+click on update and you will be ok. You will of course have to authorize the computer to your account. but by pressing SHIFT+click will allow the update to occur without needing to start from ground zero with firmware updates and material intact.

5. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

so yea, you can update without the fear of losing all your personal stuff on your ipod touch. enjoy.

6. brownricetofu macrumors member

Hey when I hold down shift and hit update it opens up a window where it wants me to locate the new .ipsw file. Where do I find this file, and are you positive that i wont loose all my music if I am updating on another computer? I am a little nervous as I wont have access to the computer I normally sync with my touch for another month...

Thanks

7. brownricetofu macrumors member

BTW the computer I want to use to do the update is a PC running XP and the comp I sync my pod to is a macbook... thanks

8. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

ooh.. mate i really hate to say this.. but it would be a HUGE problem if you lost all your data. :( just to be on the safe side, dont do it... it would suck to have to pay for it twice.

9. brownricetofu macrumors member

yeah I might just have to tough it out for a month but I have updated before on this same windows box and it did not erase anything, but I'm wondering if 3.0 is more of a major update then the last update.

Apple says I should update on the same computer that I sync with... but I wonder if what riceaddictboy says is true....

any help would be greatly appreciated!