iPod Touch Update

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ko1992, May 18, 2012.

1. ko1992 macrumors newbie

Hey guys I just need some advice for my iPod Touch.

So i've got an iPod Touch 3G and my iOS is 4.1 which I updated to a long time ago. Problem is I need to update it to at least 5.0 but i dont want to lose my jailbreak apps. This meaning I want to update, jailbreak and have the apps on it that i had before. Is it possible to do that?

2. madrich, May 21, 2012
    Last edited: May 21, 2012

madrich macrumors regular

madrich

There is a Cydia app to help you restore your jailbreak apps. You need to research it, Try The Big Boss dot Org.

3. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

In short,

There is no easy way.
    There are apps that will "backup" your jailbroken info, but those tend to fail sometimes and are not totally reliable.

My advice:
    1. Backup with iTunes (disable iCloud).
    2. Backup with iCloud (just for kicks but either this or iTunes will do).

Now buy* from Cydia PKGBackup or AptBackup (*don't remember if these are free).
    Use them but NOT to backup your apps, only settings, I don't remember beforehand but one of them basically tries to save your Cydia app preferences. The other does that and/or saves a list of Cydia apps as well and once you run them in the "newly" installed iOS version it can automatically download them all for you (DON'T do this. It sucks and sometimes you end up with a messed up jailbroken iDevice).

Now, what I'd do if I was to jailbreak again (haven't because I'm without a computer right now at home), I'd save files from these locations (I have them bookmarked on iFile, don't remember exactly why, but they were important last time I checked):
    /var/mobile/Library/Preferences
    /etc/apt
    /var/lib/dpkg/info
    /var/mobile/Library
    /var/stash/Applications
    /var/stash
    /var/mobile/Libraries/Caches

Save them via SSH.
    Then make a list of your Cydia apps (pen and paper).

Now you're ready.

Update to new iOS, jailbreak.
    Now re-download apps from Cydia (your paper list).

You're almost done.
    Use one of the backup apps I mentioned to recover your Cydia apps data.
    If it fails or some didn't click (and some definitely won't be backed up as themes and so on), then I'd take my old backup (made via SSH), inspect what I need and once again via SSH copy it back.

Now it should work just fine provided the Cydia apps work on the new iOS version (sometimes you will need to find replacements if you have 4.x outdated apps).

As you can see, it's easy as pie but boring as hell.

Have fun.