iPod Touch v iPhone - Does anyone have both?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ajthomason, Feb 18, 2008.

1. ajthomason macrumors 6502

Hi There,

I own a 16GB iPod Touch and have done since just after they were released in the UK. However, like most, I don't like carrying around both the iPod and my phone, so am looking it trading them both in and buying an iPhone.

I was in the carphone warehouse today (somewhere I would never normally go, except I knew that they would have some iPhones) and briefly played with a 4GB iPhone. Compared to my iPod touch, the iPhone is a lot bigger and doesn't seem, to me at least, solid. Holding the two side by side, the iPhone seemed quite tacky (no offence!).

My question is whether anyone here either has both devices or used to have the iPod Touch and now has an iPhone and what there impressions of using each device is. I am worried that if i buy an iPhone, i would miss the amazing build quality and small size of the iPod Touch.

Has anyone noticed this, or does it just seem flimsy because it is not what I am used to, in the same way that the iPod Touch seemed heavy when I first bought it, but now feels very small and light?

I'd like to hear your views about changing and if you miss the small size of the iPod compared to the iPhone.

Thanks.

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I am not sure what you mean by "tacky" and "not as solid", but I find just the opposite with my iPhone. The iPhone is a very compact and sturdy device. I have noticed any sort of "flimsyness".... (sp?)

3. ajthomason thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't worry - I'm not sure what I mean either. There was just something about it compared to my iPod Touch, it may have something to do with the material that the back is made out of.

4. slicedbread macrumors regular

I had an ipod touch for about a month, until the iphone was released and got that instead!

1) the ipod touch is much smaller and you will notice the difference when you hold or pocket an iphone instead. if you do want an iphone there's not much you can do about this unfortunately! but I did get used to the iphone after a while and its not so bad that its a deal breaker.

2) I am someone that has to have both a phone and my ipod with me at all times, so the iphone really was a no-brainer. the build quality of both is excellent and you will not notice one being better built than the other.

3) its annoying that the iphone has a sunken headphone jack, because pretty much all standard plugs out there wont fit without an adaptor, or some hacking of the plastic around the ends of your plug with a pen-knife!

4) its quite nice that the iphone has a speaker, so when you don't have your headphones with you, you can still listen to music!

5) I was used to the 16gb of space I had on my touch, so the 8gb on the iphone makes you go on a bit of a media diet! But there are 16gb iphones out now...!

Generally very happy with my iphone. I would just say that get it from O2 stores or an applestore. They have 14 day return policy, whereas CPW have a 7 day one I think. That way you can play with it and decide if you want to keep it, before being locked down for 18months.

5. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

I own both a 16GB iPod touch (bought it in early October '07) & 8GB iPhone (purchased 12/13/07). When I bought the touch, I had no plans on ever buying the iPhone.....until one of my employees showed me his.

6. ajthomason thread starter macrumors 6502

@SlicedBread - Thanks for your post, it is very helpful. I'm glad to hear that you managed to adapt to to bigger size. Although I have read about the sunken headphone jack, it never really occurred to me that it would affect me much - but of course it will, so I won't be able to plug my iPhone into aux inputs on my friends car stereos without having to carry an adaptor around?

I generally only carry around my iPod, odd I know, but I don't really use my phone - I don't see the point in texting when I could use an email and I rarely make calls on it atm, that is one of the things that I am hoping to change. I should carry my phone as I keep finding voicemail messages on it from people that I should have answered.

The real thing that i want the iPhone for is having access to my emails / the internet without a WiFi network - The phones in the CPW were not actually activated properly (to stop people sending texts etc.) so I could not test the speed of the internet, how do you find it for general browsing or for quickly looking up the price of something while in the shop (like in the advert)?

@Cubbie - Did you find it difficult making the change, or did you just like being able to use it as a phone so much?

7. joefinan macrumors 6502a

much prefer my iPhone (anyone want to buy a 16gb touch??)

My advice - don't buy from Carphone Whorehouse - they only give a 7 day many-quibble returns and are generally a bunch of stuck-up idiots who just try and sell you insurance.

O2 stores give you the hard sell, give you automatic insurance you have to remember to cancel and take your name and address etc for marketing - but have 14 day returns.

Apple store just hand you the phone with a smile, 14 day no quibble returns and are very helpful.

Hope this helps you.

8. Gondry macrumors member

I use both, I run the battery down on the phone too fast if I only use the iphone. Also the iphone interferes with my car head unit and I also often put the touch on a dock hooked up to a stereo.

I would second the advice not to buy from carphone warehouse either.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I had both. Besides the phone functions, there's also the camera.

But I miss the speaker most of all and have to carry a tiny set with the touch.

10. idoctor macrumors newbie

yes i have used both devices and i would go with the iphone!

its tackier to carry a phone and ipod with you if your doing the same thing with it!

11. crazychris3992 macrumors member

crazychris3992

i had both, i got my touch in november and wasnt ever expecting to get the iphone because i thought i was happy with the phone i already had and also had just signed a two year contract in may. then i started getting annoyed that you can only use the touch's internet in some place where as the iphone can view the internet anywhere (as long as there is signal:)) so i thought i might as well get and iphone, which has a camera, speaker, no chrome back, wifi, and still stay in touch with my friends. so on thursday, which just passed, i bought my 8 gb iphone, and got rid of my ipod touch just a few hours ago (sold). 8 gigs is a dietary plan for me because i have soo much music and videos, but i got used to it. right when i got my iphone, i basically stopped using my ipod touch and sat around for 3 whole days. I'd say you should get an iPhone.