iPod Touch + Verizon mifi = no more cell phone.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aaronstephen, Dec 23, 2009.

1. aaronstephen macrumors newbie

aaronstephen

I have been using my ipod touch with verizon wireless's mifi device at it is amazing. I use skype to make and receive all my phone calls and have connectivity to the internet and my email whenever I want to connect. The verizon plan is $60 a month. but with skype (unlimited calling) it definitely beats having a $150 a month plan with at&t and all the dropped calls. anyone else doing this?

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Beware - where internet is not present, you cannot call. Also, I wonder if you can reach 911 from Skype (I don't think so). I might try this someday but I don't think this technology is mature enough to rely on if I'm stuck in an emergency.

3. aaronstephen thread starter macrumors newbie

aaronstephen

you are correct. where there is no cell service there will be no ability to make a call. good thing verizon has an enormous coverage area. also I have a prepaid phone that I have in case of emergencies.

4. jesterscourt macrumors regular

Doesn't the mifi have a 5 gb cap? What is your usage looking like?

5. aaronstephen thread starter macrumors newbie

aaronstephen

I surf the web alot with my iPod. just web surfing I may only use 1GB of usage. using skype barely makes a dent in my usage. about a 25 min conversation uses roughly 6mb of usage. if I am going to do any major downloading of apps I try and wait till I am on my work server. I am finding it hard to even reach 3GB of usage if I save all my app downloading on my work server.

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Thanks - i've been trying to figure out what the heck my usage might be. I'm not excited about the $ though - so i'll keep pondering it. I want the Virgin Broadband to go prices on the MIFI.

I just have an increasing need to be able to access some stuff while out and about, and this is one option. ANother wish would be that i could get it as prepaid in chunks. Instead of buying a month, i want to buy say, 1gb and if it lasts 2 months - then so be it.... not that verizon will EVER go for that - but i can wish for it! LOL!!

7. mingoglia macrumors 6502

Where Internet isn't present you'd likely not be able to make a call either on a traditional mobile phone as it's on the same network. :)

I too am a fan of the iPod Touch and mifi. I'm a big Blackberry fan but love the superior apps apps on the iPhone. The iPod Touch with mifi gives me the best of both worlds. I can use my Bold as a phone and text device and use the Touch as device to play on or surf with it's superior browser. :)

8. aaronstephen thread starter macrumors newbie

aaronstephen

I hear ya on the price. The only way I am able to justify it is that I have no internet in the house and I now don't have a cell phone bill. I use the mifi for my primary internet source outside of work. skype for phone service which is only $7 a month.

9. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Sorry, I was referring to 3G, which is IIRC what the mifi uses. In significant (not urban) areas, 3G can be lacking, but older cell phone towers (1/2G) are up that provide voice and emergency. No "real" internet, but yes there is a network.

10. McBeats macrumors 6502a

yeah totally, my friend used the hell out of his iphone data, tethering it as well for data on his comp... still didnt even break 5gb. (i know thats iphone w/ att, but similar rules apply)

mifi coverage pretty good so far in all places you go?

11. aaronstephen thread starter macrumors newbie

aaronstephen

Verizon's coverage has been amazing. I used to have an iPhone and there is no comparison in service area. Verizon wins hands down. hoping Verizon picks up the iPhone in 2010.

12. graphicsward macrumors member

graphicsward

skype calling

Can you call using your skypein number or only call other skype people. Or is there another way to call regular phones?

13. aaronstephen thread starter macrumors newbie

aaronstephen

it's $3 a month to call any landline or cell in U.S. or Canada. your skypein number are for those who want to call you.

14. graphicsward macrumors member

graphicsward

Yeah, sorry confusing myself too. The question should have read can you use skypein and receive calls?

15. TeamDNA macrumors 6502

also if you get textfree from the appstore you can text and recieve text while on the internet .. so you get free text and calls

16. aaronstephen thread starter macrumors newbie

aaronstephen

I really haven't had that good of an experience with textfree. do you like it?

17. steinflg macrumors newbie

I just purchased an iPod touch and purchased a verizon mifi as my work air card. How can I hook this up to make it work? I have downloaded skype but i dont know how to make phone calls with my iPod touch. Can someone help me out?

18. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

my brother uses a similar setup and he is very happy... he has internet at home so his monthly usage is very low...great way to save money!