iPod Touch video out issue

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mikedamirault, Jun 1, 2010.

1. mikedamirault macrumors newbie

I just got composite video out cables for my iPod Touch today and no matter what video I try to play on it, it will not display on my TV (I have tried Youtube videos using the Youtube app, I have tried playing demos from the iTunes store, I have not tried downloading a video from the iTunes store as I do not have iTunes credit, and do not plan on doing so)

The composite video out cables clearly say they support the 2nd gen iPod Touch (8GB, 16GB, and 32GB models), and according to the Apple iPod model page (the one that tells you what model of iPod you have based on the features and how it looks), it says that only the 1st and 2nd gen iPod Touches have 8GB models (which is what I have), and based on the photos my iPod looks like the 2nd gen, so it should be compatible with the composite cables I got for it

Does it only display videos that you pay for using iTunes on TV? Is there some hidden feature somewhere I'm just not finding that is supposed to enable TV output?

2. mikedamirault thread starter macrumors newbie

Nobody? 25 people have viewed this thread, and not one of them can help?

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It should play content properly formatted for viewing in the Videos app of your iPod touch. I do not think YouTube or streaming video samples from the iTunes Store will work. Go to here to get a sample file you can convert via iTunes to an iPod compatible version, and sync to the Videos app on your iPod touch. Try the playback with the composite cable with the converted and synced video. Also make sure you have gone to Settings->Video to check the Widescreen and TV Signal settings to make sure they are compatible with your TV.

4. mikedamirault thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried converting and syncing that video to my iPod and I am still not getting any video on my TV (it's just video that is the problem, sound works fine if that matters), the video displays fine on the iPod screen but the TV remains blank

I have my settings set for NTSC and Widescreen, I don't think the Widescreen setting would matter, though I have checked both ways, no video on either

If it matters, I am using the "ezGear" video cable (purchased from Thinkgeek) going through a surround receiver

5. mikedamirault thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I fixed my own problem, well, sort of

The problem must be the receiver, I just connected directly to my TV bypassing my surround receiver and BAM, showed right up, I am not sure what the receiver could be doing, though the only thing I can think of is the chip in the dock connector is putting out some sort of DRM encryption that the receiver doesn't understand, guess I'll have to run a new line directly from the back of my TV for a quick connect:mad:

BTW, I was also able to view Youtube videos and pictures (in slideshow), so I guess it's solved now except for the fact that now I have to rewire my entertainment center for it