iPod Touch video out to TV

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shadowfayre, Jan 26, 2009.

1. shadowfayre macrumors regular

I have the 2nd Generation iPod Touch and purchased the Apple Brand A/V Composite cables (through Toyrus). Had a gift card there. Anyways, connected to the TV and the only video I get is when I am watching a video. No interface not even a basic text menu (like that I have send from previous generation ipods). Is this normal? Even on music, nothing appears on the screen.

Sorry if this seems like another idiot posting but I could not rightfully get the answer to the question. There were many comments about bad cables so I wanted to find out if this was the case or this is by design.

I believe I did see one response that the UI will not work via A/V out. I am however surprised that I get nothing all all considering that the older ipods provide at least a useable interface on screen.

Thanks again sorry if this is a duplicate. I do use the search feature. :)

2. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Yes. There's currently no way to get anything else on the screen, though I think I might have read something about a jailbreak app that allows for it... if you're into that.

3. shadowfayre thread starter macrumors regular

That was the answer I expected. Thanks for your reply.

[ranting on] Doesn't seem odd that Apple could not have at least provide a simple GUI like previous iPods? This crazy thing cost enough :) Of course a direct screen output would be well accepted. Here is to hoping for a firmware update! :) [/ranting off]

4. aki macrumors 6502a

probably there will be apple app one day.....its actually not easy to do at least with good framerates

there is some people working on a screen-mirror app but its not working fast enough yet and yes it is a jailbreakonly app at least now.....i cant remember but i think i read about it on arstechnica so search there if u really want to check up

5. bildio macrumors regular

6. aki macrumors 6502a

some apps have their own "video-mirroring" but it is very rare i guess coz again its hard to get working so far

i dont know but i havent heard x-plane can do it

basically for now its only photos and movies

btw here is an ars story about it... they make it sound like it is basically easy to get working which is not what i heard but i havent tried myself so what would i no hahaha

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2008/12/transforming-iphone-into-tv-gaming-device.ars/2