iPod Touch + VoIP = Goodbye AT&T (or O2!)

Devil's Refugee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2007
If someone manages to put a VoIP client on the new iPod Touch, does this effectively give you an iPhone (albeit under a wireless network only) without the extortionate AT&T (or O2 if you're in the UK) rates ????

No more roaming profiles or charges either ?

Canuck4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Theres no Mic on the Itouch though.
You might be able to listen but not speak. Great for cranking people :D

riverfreak

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Bangkok
If someone manages to put a VoIP client on the new iPod Touch, does this effectively give you an iPhone (albeit under a wireless network only) without the extortionate AT&T (or O2 if you're in the UK) rates ????

No more roaming profiles or charges either ?
Could be tough without a mic. Besides, you'd be tethered to hot spots. Not a very effective cell phone unless you live in a coffee shop. But the freedom from mobile carriers could be worth it!

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
and for most people this just is not a solution.

and since it does not have a mic...

OIP will be even less of one....

cyclone84

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
It might have Bluetooth, according to an article I saw yesterday. Wouldn't that open up the possibility for a BT headset?

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
are you guys idiots?

it has absolutely no capabilities for audio input.

so really good phone...:confused:
umm some of us mentioned that. You might want to take note and not lump us in will all the "guys"

OIP! OIP! OIP!

Can you here me now?

No. Your iTouch does not have a mic.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
It doesn't but that doesn't preclude a third party vendor from creating a device that plugs into the dock connector. Much like already available voice recording add ons.

If software can be written there's little doubt such an add on could be created.
Correct. And that would be a hack. And something that people that really need quality always availble voice access would not use IMO.

For the cost of such device they should just buy the iPhone. That at least has some version of callback voip skype if I recall.

i.Feature

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
Montreal, Canada
Correct. And that would be a hack. And something that people that really need quality always availble voice access would not use IMO.
If and when apple opens up the iphone/ipod touch to third party developers that would not be a hack. It would be an accessory just like bluetooth headsets are accessories for current phones.

And something that people that really need quality always availble voice access would not use IMO.
Of course. But not everyone wants or needs this.

For the cost of such device they should just buy the iPhone. That at least has some version of callback voip skype if I recall.
But if i'm buying the iphone i'm gonna be springing more cash for the carrier service. Which negates that argument.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
If and when apple opens up the iphone/ipod touch to third party developers that would not be a hack. It would be an accessory just like bluetooth headsets are accessories for current phones.
If apple opens up but has limits then this may not be an official itouch app and will still be a hack.

But if i'm buying the iphone i'm gonna be springing more cash for the carrier service. Which negates that argument.
Sort of. If a person can't afford a mobile device then they really have higher problems then buying and hacking an iTouch.

Honestly. most people I see posting wanting voip seem to have really issues with the cost of mobile. I guess it maybe it's college students are something without even medium paying jobs. But IMO if you have issues with affording the cost of mobile you would be better doing things about it then hacking an iTouch.

i.Feature

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2005
Montreal, Canada
Honestly. most people I see posting wanting voip seem to have really issues with the cost of mobile. I guess it maybe it's college students are something without even medium paying jobs. But IMO if you have issues with affording the cost of mobile you would be better doing things about it then hacking an iTouch.
For me at least it has nothing to do with cost. Although seeing as most of the day I'm around free wi-fi. It would save me a bit, especially for long distance.

It's an alternative. Having choices is a good thing. And i think thats why alot of people are interested in something like this.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yea. Great. Jumping from wifi network to wifi network, contending with security on routers, passwords etc. Only where there is a wifi network.

I'll stick with the phone ta.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
On that German site they had bluetooth in the picture. I was hoping for bluetooth. Also, there are devices for the iPod that allows you to add something to it so you can record memo on your iPod, maybe they expand this to the Touch.

Just being optimistic here :) But with the iPhone price cut I rather get the full iPhone for the small price upgrade.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
iPod Linux can turn the output into an input. Maybe they can figure out a way so it can be done with the headphone jack on the iPod touch.

bobznc

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
For me at least it has nothing to do with cost. Although seeing as most of the day I'm around free wi-fi. It would save me a bit, especially for long distance.

It's an alternative. Having choices is a good thing. And i think thats why alot of people are interested in something like this.
Haha, I got the same flack when I brought up the desire to cancel EDGE because for the iPhone because I spend so much time around WiFi. A lot of readers, especially the elders, couldn't get around the fact the my desires weren't all because of finances, albiet eliminating unnecessary charges were a motivation, but not my sole goal. It was to get the functionality that I wanted and eliminating costs along the way. I guess when you get past 20-24, logic subsides and the mind only considers that those that don't want to pay for things they won't use are impoverished.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Nope. No bluetooth.
Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt we already confirm there was bluetooth chip in there, that was turned off till they got FCC approval?

lera

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2001
:mad:

Maybe there are people that don't live in the U. States:eek: I don't know for sure, but I once heard that someone lives in Canada; I heard of two people that live in Australia. I even heard that there is someplace called Europe, that may just be far fetched. [update: http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/13/apple-uk-special-event-september-18th-2007/ ] And maybe there are some people that don't like AT&T:cool: