iPod Touch + VoIP = Goodbye AT&T (or O2!)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Devil's Refugee, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

If someone manages to put a VoIP client on the new iPod Touch, does this effectively give you an iPhone (albeit under a wireless network only) without the extortionate AT&T (or O2 if you're in the UK) rates ????

No more roaming profiles or charges either ?

2. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

Theres no Mic on the Itouch though.
    You might be able to listen but not speak. Great for cranking people :D

3. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

riverfreak

Could be tough without a mic. Besides, you'd be tethered to hot spots. Not a very effective cell phone unless you live in a coffee shop. But the freedom from mobile carriers could be worth it!

4. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

and for most people this just is not a solution.

and since it does not have a mic...

OIP will be even less of one....

5. doobi18 macrumors 6502

teh?

are you guys idiots?

it has absolutely no capabilities for audio input.

so really good phone...:confused:

6. cyclone84 macrumors regular

It might have Bluetooth, according to an article I saw yesterday. Wouldn't that open up the possibility for a BT headset?

7. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

umm some of us mentioned that. You might want to take note and not lump us in will all the "guys"

OIP! OIP! OIP!

Can you here me now?

No. Your iTouch does not have a mic.

8. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Nope. No bluetooth.

9. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

It doesn't but that doesn't preclude a third party vendor from creating a device that plugs into the dock connector. Much like already available voice recording add ons.

If software can be written there's little doubt such an add on could be created.

10. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Correct. And that would be a hack. And something that people that really need quality always availble voice access would not use IMO.

For the cost of such device they should just buy the iPhone. That at least has some version of callback voip skype if I recall.

11. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

If and when apple opens up the iphone/ipod touch to third party developers that would not be a hack. It would be an accessory just like bluetooth headsets are accessories for current phones.

Of course. But not everyone wants or needs this.

But if i'm buying the iphone i'm gonna be springing more cash for the carrier service. Which negates that argument.

12. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

If apple opens up but has limits then this may not be an official itouch app and will still be a hack.

Sort of. If a person can't afford a mobile device then they really have higher problems then buying and hacking an iTouch.

Honestly. most people I see posting wanting voip seem to have really issues with the cost of mobile. I guess it maybe it's college students are something without even medium paying jobs. But IMO if you have issues with affording the cost of mobile you would be better doing things about it then hacking an iTouch.

13. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

for all that trouble you might as well get yourself an iPhone...

14. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

For me at least it has nothing to do with cost. Although seeing as most of the day I'm around free wi-fi. It would save me a bit, especially for long distance.

It's an alternative. Having choices is a good thing. And i think thats why alot of people are interested in something like this.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea. Great. Jumping from wifi network to wifi network, contending with security on routers, passwords etc. Only where there is a wifi network.

I'll stick with the phone ta.

16. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

On that German site they had bluetooth in the picture. I was hoping for bluetooth. Also, there are devices for the iPod that allows you to add something to it so you can record memo on your iPod, maybe they expand this to the Touch.

Just being optimistic here :) But with the iPhone price cut I rather get the full iPhone for the small price upgrade.

17. The General macrumors 601

iPod Linux can turn the output into an input. Maybe they can figure out a way so it can be done with the headphone jack on the iPod touch.

18. bobznc macrumors member

Haha, I got the same flack when I brought up the desire to cancel EDGE because for the iPhone because I spend so much time around WiFi. A lot of readers, especially the elders, couldn't get around the fact the my desires weren't all because of finances, albiet eliminating unnecessary charges were a motivation, but not my sole goal. It was to get the functionality that I wanted and eliminating costs along the way. I guess when you get past 20-24, logic subsides and the mind only considers that those that don't want to pay for things they won't use are impoverished.

19. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Correct me if I am wrong, but didnt we already confirm there was bluetooth chip in there, that was turned off till they got FCC approval?

20. lera macrumors member

:mad:

Maybe there are people that don't live in the U. States:eek: I don't know for sure, but I once heard that someone lives in Canada; I heard of two people that live in Australia. I even heard that there is someplace called Europe, that may just be far fetched. [update: http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/13/apple-uk-special-event-september-18th-2007/ ] And maybe there are some people that don't like AT&T:cool: