Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

showtime

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2007
I'm sure that many ipod touch buyers love the iphone but just can't justify the cost. But with apple's price drop on the iphone you can get a refurbished 8gb iphone for $350 vs an 8gb ipod touch for $300. There have been reports of being able to activate an iphone on prepaid so you'd essentially be left with an ipod touch if you don't want a new phone plan.

So for a small difference in price $50 gets you the possibility of having a phone along with your touch in the future if it does ever get unlocked. Wouldn't it be wiser to just get an iphone?

Shanesan

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2006
I perfer to keep my phone (as it is nice) and just want a gizmo to do everything else.

Plus I'm on a college campus and it's exactly what every college student needs.

showtime

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2007
But an iphone does everything the touch does and vice versa minus the phone capabilities. $50 for an additional "phone option" if the iphone ever gets unlocked seems like a good deal.

indraunt

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2007
I love the iPhone, its not the cost I can't justify - its the iPhone itself. As far as phones are concerned I'm not really interested in a phone that can do everything - all I want is to be able to write messages and make phone calls. I'm perfectly happy with my Motofone and its infinite battery life, I have no interest in the iPhone, but the iPod Touch is just what I'm after - a small versitile multimedia devise that won't sap the life out of my phone.

I like the two being seperate, I understand why people don't see the point in the iPod touch, but for a lot of people - such as those who're happy with the phone they have - its just what the doctor ordered.

beer.coffee

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Copy and paste everything the above user said.

Plus there is one more reason why i would wana keep my phone and iPod seperate. I dont know about you guys but my phones always get some pretty rough treatment. I drop it at least a week, even more so when i get drunk. I dont want to constantly be changing the SIM card in an iPhone to some lesser phone when i go out....

Devil's Refugee

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Not really, this was the only disappointing thing about the Keynote speech, the storage. Besides, I reckon there'll be a 16Gb model of the iPhone before Christmas (certainly for the european launch)
I think i'd prefer to have a 16Gb iPhone together with an iPod Classic with 160Gb.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
I'll probably go with the iPod touch.
iPhone ain't out here yet.
I have my mobile provided by my company so no cost.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
16GB iPhone has to be just around the corner. Id clearly go for that. Only thing I will miss is the brushed aluminum rim of the iPod Touch. It looks absolutely beautiful

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
But an iphone does everything the touch does and vice versa minus the phone capabilities. $50 for an additional "phone option" if the iphone ever gets unlocked seems like a good deal.

no, getting unlocked is BIG "if" for most normal users, not to mention its against EULA.
further more, now iPod touch is out, I would expect iPhone hackers move their focus to new device, after all, iPod Touch is bound to have wider user base.

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
no, getting unlocked is BIG "if" for most normal users, not to mention its against EULA.
further more, now iPod touch is out, I would expect iPhone hackers move their focus to new device, after all, iPod Touch is bound to have wider user base.

Yes and no.

If you check gizmodo, you'll see [more] evidence that infact the iPhone and Touch are running the exact same binaries. So although some of the "unlocking" processes might be a different just because of the slightly different hardware, the software itself runs the same, and I'm assuming both the iPhone and the Touch have VERY VERY similar low level architecture/wifi interfaces.

My point being, although the touch will get more focosu, progress for either device will be mutually benificial in most cases.

and no, i can't spell very well :)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
My point being, although the touch will get more focosu, progress for either device will be mutually benificial in most cases.

and no, i can't spell very well :)

no, your spell isn't bad at all

I understand your point. I agree they are very much like each other. I just think that little difference between them might make things more difficult for "normal users" than we might expect.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
I'm sure that many ipod touch buyers love the iphone but just can't justify the cost. But with apple's price drop on the iphone you can get a refurbished 8gb iphone for $350 vs an 8gb ipod touch for $300. There have been reports of being able to activate an iphone on prepaid so you'd essentially be left with an ipod touch if you don't want a new phone plan.

So for a small difference in price $50 gets you the possibility of having a phone along with your touch in the future if it does ever get unlocked. Wouldn't it be wiser to just get an iphone?

Better comparison: $399 for an 8GB iPhone (I for one would pay a little more for a non-refurb) vs. $399 for a 16GB Touch. If you want it primarily to play video, as I do, the Touch is a no-brainer. No fiddling with phone unlocking/999-99-9999 SSNs to get to half the storage space. Even at your $350 price point, it's $50 more to double the storage to a useable amount.

Actually, as both the enthusiast and mainstream press have pointed out, U.S. law is quite clear that unlocking a phone so that you can use it on any carrier's network is entirely legal. As such, it can't violate the EULA unless the EULA is itself contrary to the law. If you mean that unlocking the iPod functionality in an iPhone without a contract violates the EULA, that's less clear, but it still would *seem* to violate the law - as you'd still be locking hardware to 1 carrier.

As far as "most normal users" are concerned, the kind of people buying iPhones are more-than-likely also the tech-hip kind who will know that you can spoof the SSN, get prepaid, cancel the contract, etc, and end up with a working device.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Well if it lets you "squirt" your music to Zunes then I'm in.:D

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
As far as "most normal users" are concerned, the kind of people buying iPhones are more-than-likely also the tech-hip kind who will know that you can spoof the SSN, get prepaid, cancel the contract, etc, and end up with a working device.

I respectfully disagree, apple's product is more accurately described as for "fashion chaser" or "wealthy people", since its "just work".

Tech-hip people? I sincerely doubt it, they are mostly too poor to throw $600+$2000/two year for a phone..

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
While the price may be close, the big difference IMHO, is the memory capacity.

I would prefer the larger capacity of the iPod Touch for my use. Already have a cell phone, so I really don't need a new one.

Now, if the option were a 16GB iPhone for $499 (a price guess) or 16GB iPod Touch at $399, the decision would be more difficult.

showtime

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2007
Well the iphone isn't exactly hard to unlock so that it's essentially a touch. It's just the 999-99-9999 ssn activation for prepaid on itunes. But come to think of it when the refurbs first hit it should be around the $250 range so the extra $100 wouldn't be worth it.

I would love to just be able to stick in my t-mobile sim card into an iphone and use it as a touch with the abilities to make phone calls minus the data plan. Plus the iphone includes a 2 megapixel camera and bluetooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.