ipod touch vs iphone os

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Derkatwork, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Is there a difference between the two operating systems? If so, is it possible to load the touch os onto an iphone? I have a no contract iphone 4 with no carrier (I am using it as an ipod touch). Is it possible to fully transform it since I have no intentions of going to AT&T with it? In the future I may get a Verizon iphone 5, just not now. I'm not sure if the internals will prevent this.

2. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

ipod and iphone os the same, except iphone has call and sms app

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Same OS, minus the:
    -phone.app
    -messages.app

and depending which version of an iPod touch you own, minus the camera.app

Back up your iPod touch, then plug in your iPhone to iTunes and restore it using an iPod touch back-up.

4. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

It won't remove the apps

5. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Is it possible to load the touch os (iphone minus the phone, sms...) onto the iphone through itunes then? I wasn't sure if it would accept it or not.

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Of course not. You can't choose to put the OS of a different device on an iPhone. :eek:

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Not if your syncing the iPod touch and the iPhone on the same computer.

Here is what you guys need to do:

-Plug in the iPod touch to iTunes and wait for it to appear under the Devices tab, then mouse over your device and Option+Click (Windows: right click) and create a back-up
    [​IMG]

-Next, unplug your iPod touch and plug in your iPhone to iTunes, wait for it to appear under the devices tab. Now click on the Apps tab and make sure that you have the same apps from the iPod touch already pre-loaded onto the iPhone. Once you have done so, mouse over and Option+Click on your device (under the device tab) and click "Restore from back-up".
    [​IMG]

-Now select which back-up you want to use to restore your iPhone with. Note that this will not replace the OS, but just replace the back-up files that contain the App Data and Settings. This process will only take a few minutes.
    [​IMG]

You are not replacing the OS, just the back-up data.

8. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

I was mostly curious if the ipod touch 4g and the iphone 4 could handle each other's operating systems. Obviously with limitations from the ipod touch as it can't pick up signals from carriers. Mostly the iphone conversion to the touch since the limitations won't be as severe.

9. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000