iPod Touch vs Iphone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by caboyd53, Jul 21, 2008.

1. caboyd53 Guest

I am interested in getting the iPod Touch but the cost $299. iPhone is only $199. I have found no real reasons to spend the extra money for the iPod Touch when I could get an iPhone. I can use Wi-Fi for everything in iPhone as well as iPod Touch. Is there something I am missing???
    Thanks

2. J*man macrumors member

Don't forget to add in the cost of a service plan for the iPhone.

3. caboyd53 thread starter Guest

I would not activate the phone, just use the iPhone as a iPod Touch.

4. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

The thing is, you have to activate it when you buy it in store, and it won't work until activated.

5. Xavier macrumors 68020

So the 'price cut' isn't actually a price cut. It is clever advertising to get you to sign a new contract with AT&T.

6. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

In fact, when you factor in the increase in plan rates and add the same texts, the "price cut" ends up making you pay MORE than before.

7. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

i would say go ahead and get the ipod touch. i took the plunge and bought one and i LOVE it! best 200 dollars i've ever spend (thaaaanks ebay!). it does almost everything the iphone does except make calls. . and it goes on wi-fi, so it doesn't always have internet access. but honestly, since i am getting my phone for free (Dad's such a gracious fellow. :)), i skipped the iphone.

8. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Get the touch, with the phone you are required to have an active plan with your phone or else it won't work. The phone got the price-cut to help offset the $10 more per month for the 3G data plan.

9. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

The carrier is lending you money to help you buy the phone. The loan is paid back over the term of the contract.

10. fliptastic macrumors member

ipod touch vs iphone

as stated earlier, the iphone will not work unless you begin a 2 yr contract from scratch (whether you are currently with AT&T or not). Also, if you are the type of person who sometimes feels buyer's remorse, my theory is that the pain you feel will eventually go away if you buy an ipod touch. if you buy an iphone, you will have a constant reminder of the debt you took on every month when you are billed. if you don't have a "smart phone" already, then that $30 extra you will be forced to spend every month over the course of two years for your iphone contract will equal about $720 (plus tax!) on top of your current plan. if you add that to the $200 for the phone, that is a lot of green and a lot of potential remorse!

AT&T has no problem giving you $200 now since you are contracted and liable for at least the $720 within 2 years. plus, why spend all that money with no mms, video recorder, etc.

11. caboyd53 thread starter Guest

Thanks for all the responses. I did not realize that I would have to sign up for a contract to activate the phone. I guess I will just get the iPod Touch.

12. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

When you compare the full price of the phone, you end up paying more eitherway.

13. firebuff macrumors newbie

ipod Touch vs Iphone

apple online store has refurbished ipod touch for 199 for 8GB and 299 for 16GB

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Keep an eye out for a gen1 iPhone. Those will work as iPods with wifi, camera, mic, and speaker with no monthly fee.

15. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

The Touch is really cool. I have a 16GB touch and recently bought a 16GB Black iPhone. Most of the data I use on the iPhone is via WiFi. The thing I like most about the iPhone that the Touch doesn't have are the external iPhone speakers. It's cool to be able to watch a quick video clip or show something to a friend without have to take out the earphones.

The Touch is definitely a cool device and, if you don't need a phone, you won't be disappointed. My wife is currently using my Touch and she LOVES it.

Cheers.

16. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

At long last the iPhone was released here in Japan on July 11th. I took the opportunity to buy a 16GB Touch, lol. The iPhone is indeed a cool device and while it is great to have the phone, 3G data connection and GPS, etc the Touch does almost everything else and can run almost all the same apps without an expensive monthly service bill. With a wifi connection you can also enjoy the same internet connectivity without an expensive data plan and putting less battery drain on the device.

Softbank Japan got the iPhone over here and the cheapest possible plan for a 16GB iPhone would have me paying around $80/month with the data plan and phone payments. That's just not worth it to me.

I was very glad I bought the Touch and so is my wallet. ;)

17. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

was the fact the phone is on a CONTRACT not a give away? lol plus I remember reading on numerous sites that if you did not activate the phone within the first month you would incur a penalty fine or something.

no offence intended but what trail of thought made you think u could buy an iphone to save money and not worry about activating it? if it was that easy people left right and centre would be buying and jailbreaking the new iphones

18. fliptastic macrumors member

iphone vs. ipod touch

how much thicker is the iphone compared to the ipod touch. i seem to recall that the touch feels thinner/sleeker? am i right?

19. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yes the Touch is much thinner and a little shorter. Apple made the back of the iPhone rounded on the edges which makes it appear and feel thinner (similar to the Air notebook). However, you can definately notice the difference.

Cheers.
    :)