ipod touch vs ipod nano

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cankid96, Sep 6, 2010.

1. cankid96 macrumors newbie

So im in the market for a new ipod and the touch and nano are in the same price range. I was hoping for an ipod touch but my need for that sort of went away once i got a smartphone. So the ipod nano was my next choice. I like the new version but it looks like its missing a few features.
    I like the variety of apps and games on the touch but not sure if its more than the variety availble on my android and if thats a good enough reason to buy it.

So can you guys convince me to buy the touch or nano? Or maybe both:D possibly the touch this year and wait for a feature filled nano nxt year?

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well the new nano is now not a video player, it's basically meant for consumption of audio (radio, music, books, podcasts), although you can put photos on it, according to the Apple features explanation. If it becomes very popular as that type of device, the nano might not later resume an upgrade path that involves video and camera. Believe it or not, there are lots of people who don't really find portable video particularly fascinating, or who prefer a dedicated camera when they shoot photos or video.

Anyway right now the new nano is a no-video gig. So if you have no call for a music-only kind of setup, then probably you don't need the nano. You might want it if you like to have music while you are working out, or for on the job. I got it to have like a shuffle but where I can see what music I'm picking. Like a cross between the 2nd gen nano and a shuffle, basically. Pretty small but with a screen and a clip to put it on my shirtsleeve or smock while I work. I can hardly wait for it to ship!

The other issue is how does your android-based smartphone stack up against the features of the new iPod touch? Maybe it's about how many of your buddies will have a touch and want to do video chats over WiFi with you, and are you interested in that? Maybe there are particular games that developers have only done for the Apple devices so far. I don't know if I'd shell out for a touch just because I liked one particular game?!? The touch is now a really great machine, it's just a question whether you could wait a cycle and see where it goes next, since it sounds like your smartphone is a pretty recent model.

3. cmartz8 macrumors newbie

depends what your into, if you use an ipod to primarily listen to music, go with the nano. If you are into social networking, email, games, go with the touch.