Ipod Touch vs. PSP slim

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by matteusclement, Feb 8, 2008.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

First, most people will ask why and onslaught with tons of MP3 player vs Game Player ideas, but really, I don't care about games. Here's why I ask.

Point #1
    I do alot of media work. Photography, videos and web design. I use my ipod nano TONNES (my ipod video head phone jack died and I have to wait). With my VIDEO ipod, I did alot of presenations with it, showing customers their videos and pictures as proofs. The PSP has better color range and a larger screen.

Point #2
    Battery time. Im a geek and I will use either of these devices for their full use. The ipod video was a sad let down in battery time and I read online that the PSP slays it at battery time. How is the touch?

So far... PSP slim.

Point #3
    Reading e-books.
    I cant seem to find a decent site that talks about this and it is a REALLY strong point for me. Any feedback about the types of files each one reads?

Point #4
    Durability. I am tough on everything I own. What are some real world situations that you have battered your PSP or iTouch? I found the Ipod Video weak in its construction and several friends agree.

So what's ya think?

2. 7even macrumors 6502a

Well, if the iPod Video was weak to you, the Touch may not work so well either with that glass screen :p I'd think customers would be more impressed by a demonstration on an iPod Touch, instead of something that looks like a child's toy .. If you're not interested in playing games, the iPt will probably suit you best. The PSP's screen may be a bit better but I doubt you would miss that bit of extra quality on the iPod because the screen is fairly small either way.

3. YuriVoorhak macrumors regular

Yeesh...get the PSP already.

I'm sure the impression it will leave on your clients is priceless. :rolleyes:

4. Macjames macrumors 6502a

I bought a psp when they first came out and i really reget doing so, the battery life is about 3 hours of games or video which is poor, i know your possible considering the slim psp but even so its too big for a music player (maybe ive just been spoilt by apple) and i find its memory is very poor (I also dont want to carry around loads of little memory sticks which are bound to go missing). The worst thing about it is the viewing angle of the screen you always get loads of reflection.

Since you stated your not intrested in games thats just as well as the lack of good games is startling. Also i found when you put headphones in the sound is very quiet even at full volume.

I used to have a iPod video and i totally agree that no matter what you were doing (video or music) the battery life was very poor. This was one of the reasons why i chose an ipod touch.

As for the ipod touch i have found the battery life to be fantastic, no problems at all at meeting apples estimates. As for the construction the thinness of the touch really impressed me but i can see this posing a problem, as for the screen wether its a PsP or ipod you could just as easily end up smashing it. I also agree that a business video demonstration would go down far better on an ipod touch than a PSP.

Have you though about other portable devices such as a Archos?

5. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

battery life on a psp slim is poor, probably worse than ipod touch. durability i think is the same. How do you know the psp slim has a better color range? is the screen larger? aren't they both 3.5 inches diagonal, ipod touch and psp slim.

6. Spizzo macrumors 6502

I would say if you must present this way...go with the touch. It's the more professional looking of the two. But i wouldn't take someone seriously if they were showing me my video on An ipod. Get a small laptop!

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I'd take someone a lot more seriously if they were showing me a video on an iPod touch as opposed to a psp.

The touch is almost a PDA these days - the psp is and always will be a games console.

8. Orng macrumors 6502

We show clients their videos on iPods only occasionally, usually for the purpose of demonstrating how it looks on an iPod.

The good news is, they're almost always impressed enough to consider iPod-encoded versions, assuming, of course, that they're would be some utility for them in this, like distributing a training video or product information to reps across the country.

9. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

I think he made it up- pointless thread.

10. iShak macrumors 6502

Honestly, if I were your customer and you showed me a presentation or the video sample that I am suppose to pay you for, on a PSP or iPod video .. I would take my business some where else the very second.

11. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

I have an iPhone and I HAD a PSP. I say go with the iPod Touch for sure!! The nice screen is about all the PSP has going for it.

12. Nexxus macrumors member

I have both devices and I would suggest you go with the touch.
    Unless you are a gamer the PSP comes in second to the touch.
    The battery life is about 3hours, 4 if you use it for short periods of time.
    If you are planning on using the device for accessing the Internet then forget the PSP. The input vehicle is awful because you don't have a qwerty keybord, you have a input device that's more like a cell phone key pad on steroids.
    The screen is larger, but this fact doesn't out weigh everything else the touch has going for it. You can't load apps and never will be able to. As a gaming console the PSP is fantastic, but it falls like a stone if you only plan on using it it for what you described.

13. darkblu macrumors regular

this whole screens debate is rather pointless, as both devices have TV out. if i was presenting something in front of an audience i'd at least do it on a tv screen.

now, it's a different matter if you're talking about on-the-go use, off the sceen of the device. re that i've posted my experience with both devices here.

14. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

Are your clients adults? If so, go with the touch.

15. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

what is a PSP?

who is it made by?

why is it talked about on the ipod touch forum?

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

because you can compare the products in terms of functions:rolleyes:....

17. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

You can get the extended battery kit for the PSP which is 2200 mAh and gives around 11 hours playtime.

18. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

thanks for all the input.
    good to hear that the ipod touch isn't as bad as I thought.

Sorry, I forgot to break down the presentation part.
    Sometimes it is on a digital projector.
    For the other times, when showing it on the device screen itself, I am showing the client for proofs. These are promotional videos in most cases or BANDS. Most of the people I deal with are laid back business owners, not Corporate entities who judge me on the gear I am going on.

As far as color, I was under the impression that the PSP has MORE colors. Can't remember the number tho :mad:

I also thought about it yesterday and the QWERTY keyboard function goes really far for me as well as I am always making notes during the day.

Cheers.

19. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Simply speaking, you're probably better with the iPod Touch if you don't plan to play games.