iPod Touch vs Smartphones

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Karvel, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Karvel macrumors regular

I'm curious as to how a jailbreaked iPod Touch would compare to e.g. the application (and application capabilities) of smartphones such as the Nokia N73/E51. At the moment I have a crappy Sony Ericsson k500i so I'm curious as to how applications are handled on the different platforms (yes obviously the iPod Touch doesn't the cellular features), my k500i just seems to do calendar and notes. :D Are there more apps available on the "mobile phone" smartphones? Does one platform allow more sophisticated applications?

Sorry for the all questions!!

2. bloodycape macrumors 65816

For one the Nokia is a phone, so you can get on the net with out the need of a wifi network. Not to mention the possibility of it having 3G support. You get actual 3rd party as it it running Symbian S60(a linux variant), so you can run sling media software, skype and a few other things natively. More apps actual depends on which mobile os you are referring to. But, for the most part Symbian has a lot of solid 3rd party software. With the Nokia phones you are forced to use a memory card for more space(can be a good thing since you can get two 16gb SDHC/or 8gb microsdhc card for pretty solid prices.

If you are in the medical field the touch or iphone is not really for you as there is no specific medical software that could be useful in on way or another. Then again it all depends what you want out of your device. Then again there is iphone which is a compromise of both.

3. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

take note. The touch is not smart in any way and should not even compared to a smart phone. The touch is more like an advanced mp3/video player. The lacks some very basic features that a smart phone would have. That hopefully will change with new software.

4. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

And even with an SDK, it will be "smart", but not a phone. Not the way the average consumer would like it.