iPod Touch (w/2.0) now chirps at me

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Funplex, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Funplex macrumors regular

Ever since I got the 2.0 installed, my ipod perodically chirps at me for no reason I can find. I turned Push off and I checked and I have no alarms or timers set.

Is there any reason why it's chirping?

2. Miami0 macrumors newbie

Miami0

After installing the update on the Touch, a few minutes later one of the alarm sounds randomly went off a few times then stoped, weirdly

But i didnt even have any alarms set, or sound set :confused:

It only did that once, but since then everything has been fine :)

3. intempo808 macrumors regular

Apparently, iPod touch with 2.0 will alert you this way when you get an email or something like that.

Personally, I haven't experienced it, but i did read on this forum that it did...
    :confused:

4. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

yup,
    2.0 now beeps three times (i think) when you have received an email.

5. rl. macrumors newbie

yup, mine chirps when I get a new e-mail. It's great with mobile me because you are alerted almost instantly - even when the ipod is in sleep mode.

6. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Any way to turn this e-mail notification off? I liked how it was better.

7. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Clearly there is some kind of speaker on these iPods. I wonder how sophisticated it is. Does anyone know if it's been written into some kind of library in the developer tools? (Big fat no, right?)

8. sharp65 macrumors 6502

There is a speaker, you can choose to have sound effects come out of the speaker,headphones, or both in the general settings area. Not sure how advanced it is.

9. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Twitter installed? It chirps when there's a new message.

10. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

it is just a pezio electric thing, not a speaker

11. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I've also noticed the same thing but if this can't be turned off then there will be a problem with bringing to places with Wi-Fi and getting noticed... :cool:

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Settings> General> Sound Effects ON or OFF.

This can be set for speaker, headphones, or both. I have mine OFF. No annoying chirps.

13. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

An alarm sound now goes off whenever you receive an E-Mail.

14. Funplex thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome--- thanks for telling me what this was. I would have been trying to figure it out for the longest time!

I initially thought it was an hourly chime, hehe.

15. elcid macrumors 6502

I would be fine with that but I would imagine that would kill the alarm which I use to get up. Bah, lame.

***Doesnt seem to affect alarms. Try it out first before you trust me and sleep in on monday :)

16. jonthegeologist macrumors member

but I only want to turn that email chirp off, and not the keyboard click -- how can we do that?

17. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

You can't.

Don

18. jonthegeologist macrumors member

well now that's just plain aggravating. There should be an email sound option to turn off the chirp.

I guess I'll be waiting for 2.0.1 ...

19. nelteach macrumors newbie

Email alert

I'm enjoying the email alert on my Ipod Touch v. 2.0. A friend of mine who also is running 2.0 is wondering why she doesn't have that alert. She has the sound turned on and does hear the keystrokes - but no email alert.

Do you think it's tied to MobileMe? She is not a .Mac user - that's the only difference I can see.

Thanks for your help to this puzzle :rolleyes:

20. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

No it's not tied to MobileMe. I also now get the chirp on new emails but I have not subscribed to MobileMe or .Mac...

Rod.

21. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

One new thing that affects email, is the "Fetch New Data" option in the settings menu.

If you have this OFF, you'll have to open the mail app to get your new mail. If you turn it ON, you can set this to fetch data every 15 minutes, 30 minutes, or hourly. You can go into advanced settings and set up individual mail accounts to fetch or not.

If you are being surprised by email chirps, check these settings. If you WANT email chirps, go into these settings and turn FETCH on.

22. Emvious macrumors newbie

This page seems to indicate that there is a setting for the email sound:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1330

The item is: "Set whether iPhone plays an alert sound when you have new email". This refers to the iPhone, but the top of the page refers to both the iPhone and iPod Touch.

I don't remember seeing this setting, and I don't have my Touch with me now to check. I wonder if this is an iPhone only setting. That would be lame. It's perfectly reasonable to want to turn off this setting without turning off all alerts. I was woken up in the middle of the night last night because an email arrived.

23. ohwamacuser macrumors newbie

charging chirp

My 8GB ipod touch with 2.0 alerts with new email but also chirps every few minutes while charging from the wall charger. How come the charging chirps?

24. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Maybe it's letting you know the battery's full?? :confused: I haven't personally experienced this.

25. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Ive only had my Touch a day, and 2.0 too, but have heard a chirping sound every now and then. Everytime, though, it was because I jsut connected my Touch to my Mac, or i got a new email.