iPod touch w/ 3G or 4G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by puffnstuff, Jan 27, 2010.

1. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

I would love for them to come out with an iPod touch that has 3G or 4G and the same rate plan as the iPad.

That would probably cannibalize the hell out of iPhone sales since you could have voip when ever. Still it would be nice to see in September.

2. Dunecoon macrumors newbie

I agree completely that deal is very doable. Also Ipod touch is so much more mobile. I have always wanted an Iphone without the contract and that would be close. the ipad seems too bulky.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Cool thing about the Iphone/Touches is that they are small enough to fit in your pants pocket and have it with you at all times.

4. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

With the new VOIP policy in the SDK for devs, it is very safe to say that this will most likely never happen.

5. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

This is exactly why it won't ever happen :( Heck, they didn't even let Touch owners be able to add new calendar events from the Touch for how long after the thing was released?

6. Surely Guest

Surely

I guess they would have to raise the price of the iPod touch by $130 if they were to add the 3G chip......

7. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah the 3G price would be higher probably not that high but they could leave the wifi version at the same cost

They could always block voip

8. CBX macrumors regular

Does the iPod Touch have a future or will it merge with the iPhone and just be offered with the same options as the iPad ie Wifi, 3G (And of course +voice).

I dont see why they have to be different products moving forward...

9. Surely Guest

Surely

The iPad with wifi and the iPad with wifi + 3G ARE different products. They just don't have different names.

iPad with wifi = iPod touch

iPad with wifi + 3G = iPhone

Apple isn't about to rename the iPod touch: The iPhone without 3G.

10. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

11. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Although this is a great idea.....

IT WILL NEVER, NEVER, NEVER HAPPEN EVER............EVER....:p (that's my opinion)

Lets look at the facts......

the iphone 3GS already has 3G

the iPad is 3G internet data services but not cellular, (or that's what people think).

imagine if apple tells at&t can we add another 3G device?

Now we have not 2 but 3 devices on At&t which can heavily jeopardize sales.

Anyways, why would you even put 3G on an ipod touch? really:confused:

Eventually you will get bored....b/c you won't make phone calls or text people...... imagine it doesn't even have a microphone or a camera....just get an iphone....

Lets be realistic....... the next features that are highly likely to appear in the 4th generation ipod touch are a mute button, microphone, then camera, then we can talk about adding GPS...then 3G....but hardly doubt it.

12. CBX macrumors regular

I was thinking more along the lines of the iPod touch having a 3g data (not voice plan as am option.

13. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

If that is so then they should adopt the $30 a month data service option with no contract.

The point is I don't want to pay $60 features that I don't use the iPhone is pointless. I just want to use the internet anytime.

14. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

So I can access the internet where ever? If I wanted to make calls or text I would just get an iPhone. But I don't want to I just want to web browse.

15. complexcommunic macrumors regular

Ipod Touch 4 with 3G? Wireless Aircard?

What are the chances apple will release a version of the next 4th gen ipod touch with a 3G model with optional AT&T data service? Like they did with the ipad.
    I am happy with my current cell phone (not an iphone) but I use my 2gen ipod touch on wifi all the time... It would be great if I could use a new ipod on 3G service as well when I am away from a wifi signal.
    Failing that, does anyone know if it is possible to connect something like a verizon aircard (or any other mobile wireless card meant for laptops) to an ipod touch? Perhaps using the ipod's bluetooth... I've read about connecting it to a laptop with an ad-hoc network adn things like that, but I'm talking about using no other computers at the same time.

Thanks

16. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Probably not cause that would cannibalize iPhone sales.

17. complexcommunic macrumors regular

Not necessarily... I don't think apple would gain a whole lot through selling an iphone as opposed to an ipod touch. I would assume that profit margins are pretty similar. Possibly even better for the ipod, since it's always a little bit inferior technologically to the iphone.
    And anyway, it might open another market segment for them. But you are right, it's probably too complicated for apple to do... They like to keep things simple for their consumers.

18. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

19. complexcommunic macrumors regular

20. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

I've always thought it would be a great idea to give 3G access in the iPod Touch. Great selling feature over all other portable media devices, and they could clean up on monthly access fees.

I wouldn't see it as a huge threat to the iPhone. It is a phone after all, and people buy it to get a phone. Someone may however buy an iPod Touch just to get 3G access, especially if their current phone (not an iPhone) has crappy access like my Verizon Blackberry does.

21. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Awwwwww... :p
    Maybe not a HUGE threat, but still a decent one. It's all up to apple. :p

22. anschnaller macrumors member

anschnaller

It would be pretty nice if apple would release the next ipod with 3g. I don't think it is going to happen though. It would be to similar to the iphone. One could argue that it would do nothing to help sales, cause people could just get the iphone and get more for there money or the could get the ipod cause they don't want to put up with att&t. Then you also got to think of the people getting it and Jbreaking to do VOIP calls.

I just hope the new ipod has the retina screen and the A4. That alone would be better than 3g on the ipod.

23. complexcommunic macrumors regular

Haha sorry I was just hoping to hear a few more users chime in than just one person

24. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

If they really want amazing sales then they should have iPhones on all major carriers.

Hmmmm...
    It's cool, i was just kidding. :D

25. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

More than likely it wont happen but you could buy the mifi on verizon and that allows you to connect up to 5 wifi devices at one time. Virgin Mobile also just came out with a prepaid version.