iPod Touch was stolen, got it back and it was disabled

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Michellewith1L, May 6, 2008.

1. Michellewith1L macrumors newbie

So my iPod touch was recently stolen and surprisingly I managed to et it back. But just when I thought any iPod problems I had were over I tried to turn it on only to find that it had been disabled and locked with a new passcode.I've tried to do a force restore on it and restore it through iTunes but every time it seems like it's working iTunes gets a pop up saying "Unknown error (-50)". Any help on re-enabling my iPod would be greatly appreciated I'm out of ideas and have no clue what to do to fix it.

2. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I have no idea how to fix your problem but please share how you got it back!

Mike

3. Michellewith1L thread starter macrumors newbie

It actually really was a stroke of luck, it got stolen at my high school and I had to file a police report and report it stolen and I waited about a week for anything to happen when one of my teachers found an iPod in her class she brought it into the dean and he checked the serial # with the one I had given him for my iPod touch and it was mine. So I thought everything was gonne be fine but I guess not.

4. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Lucky you.

Plug iPod in
    Wait a minute, let iTunes recognize it
    Hold down the top and home buttons, count 10 seconds. Release after 10

The iPod will start up in restore mode, and you'll be able to fully restore it.

Good luck.

5. Michellewith1L thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll definitely give that a try. The only problem I can think of is that my computer wouldn't recognize it as my iPod when I tried to plug it in earlier so whoever took it probably plugged it into their iTunes and will I just be able to bypass the passcode this way?

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Might also try calling Apple if the above fix doesn't work. They will have your serial number on hand (thus proving it is, in fact, yours) and probably have a way around your problem.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

7. Michellewith1L thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah calling Apple was my next guess on what to do so I'll probably call them tomorrow...and thanks I'm definitely hoping it gets fixed

8. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Make sure you give them the story and all the details, they could think you're the thief. Good luck anywho.

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I guess one way to try is to plug it in to usb and with either iLiberty or ziphone stick the ipod into recovery mode (since you say you tried a forced update and failed) then just restore

10. Michellewith1L thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha I will definitely make sure to do that and thanks

11. Michellewith1L thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright. I'd been searching around on sites earlier for help and saw someone mention ziphone so I'll be sure to try that if the others dn't work

12. albinoAZN macrumors regular

I would try this if you haven't already:

-Open iTunes.
    -Plug USB Cable into computer, but not into iPod.
    -Hold down the Home button only on your iPod.
    -Now plug in the 30-pin side of the cable with the Home button still pressed.
    -Keep the home button pressed until the restore screen appears (an iTunes logo with a USB cable pointed at it).
    -Now Restore your iPod.

13. sharuhh macrumors newbie

Mine was stolen a month ago, I got it back today and it was disabled for over 22 million minutes.
    I plugged it in to my computer, synced it, and it restarted without a problem.

14. Chi-mex macrumors member

LOL 22 Million minutes?
    A) good thing u had a password
    B) Is that an exageration or is that for real

15. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

16. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

17. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Strange how there are suddenly a bunch of people on here complaining about their iPods being locked for about the same time (22 million minutes)... I wonder if there's a thief out there who's stealing iPods, punching in the wrong code until it's locked for 22mil minutes and returning them to the owner :p