iPod Touch + Water

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Eggnima, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Eggnima macrumors newbie

Hi all, I have a 32GB 3G iPod Touch. Unfortunately, it came into contact with water a couple of days ago, and now, the backlight is not coming on, and the screen is not responding to inputs too. I am able to see the display itself, sans the backlight.

Restoring the firmware doesn't do anything, neither does rebooting it via Home + Power.

Does anyone here have an interim solution, short of dumping it and buying a new one?

P.S. I've brought it to an Apple-certified Servicing Centre and they verified that the water sensor inside the iPod Touch has been triggered, thus nullifying any warranty on the unit.

2. Slucko macrumors member

Get a bowl of uncooked rice and place the iPod in the bowl, it will take the moisture out of the iPod Touch

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It's very possible that you ruined the Touch by doing all those things. Water in an electronic device is only bad when the device is on (assuming decently clean water) or if it shorts the battery even while it's off. By attempting to use it, you may have done the damage already.

Still do the rice trick, it may work, and I hope it does. The best thing to do when you get something like that wet is to shut it off ASAP, put it in a bowl of rice, and leave it alone for a couple days.

4. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Does that really work? I might have to keep that in mind if this ever happens to me.