Ipod touch wet; is there hope?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by siddharta1979, Mar 14, 2011.

1. siddharta1979 macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Unfortunately I got caught in a storm, and my ipod touch got wet. I didn't realize it, so I tried to charge it for a while (less than an hour or so), as soon as I realized there was water under the screen I switched it off and put it into a rice bag. Now it's almost four days, and there's still water under the screen.
    The situation is the following:
    1) Warranty expired
    2) No red/pink coloration into the dock connector or jack plug
    3) The ipod turns on and could charge, but shows the itunes icon and does not move from there
    4) I can switch it off just by holding both the hold and power button. If I just hold the power, in the following screen I will be unable to scroll the cursor to switch it off.
    5) If I plug it into itunes, it doesn't let me in because it says I need to put in the password (but doesn't show the relative screen on the Ipod).

Any possible advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

You plugged it in, so there's almost no hope, stop plugging it in into anything, leave it in a box with rice for 3 days or even a week.

On the other hand, the new iPod Touch is quite nice... ;)

3. siddharta1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

The fact that is seems to charge and/or that the screen doesn't show any distortion can not be a good sign?
    There's no way this could be fixed? I'm not quite ready to spend 200$ for a new one...

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Most likely not. They key to fixing any electronic device that gets wet is to turn it off immediately and let it dry out in rice, but you turned it on by plugging it in before it had a chance to completely dry out.

5. siddharta1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been able to restore my last back up. It seems working, but the screen is not responsive. Thoughts?

6. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

you have 5 options:

1) open it up and look for any corrosion or problems. maybe need to replace the screen.

2)sell it on craigslist/ebay for parts and buy a new one

3)throw it away and buy a new one

4)go to the apple store and explain your situation to them and hope they replace it anyway

5)go to the apple store and lie and tell them the screen just stopped working.

5 isnt really ethical but it would give you the best result (even better result if its in warrenty),

Personally, i would open it up and look for corrosion because ive done it before, but you might want to either take it to the apple store or sell it.

7. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

You had charged it? Well, I'm afraid you should send it to repair it now.

8. siddharta1979 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not in warranty.
    I think I'll try again and again until this weekend, keeping it in rice from time to time. Then I'll bring it to the applestore and see what they say.
    But if it's not in warranty, why would they replace it!?
    I don't think I'm able to open it up; instead than ebay I was actually considering thepoddrop.com. As anyone ever used it?

9. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

there have been stories where Apple fixes it for you even out of warranty. You should explain to them what happened and hope for the best.