iPod touch, what if it gets stolen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Oats, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Oats macrumors regular

sorry about the post, i recently thought my iPod touch got stolen... then i found it! nice.

but it got me thinking... what security features should i do for the future?

I would have had to change my email password so that they don't keep checking my email...
    Is there anything else I should do or security measures I should be aware of? If it was stolen, and I call Apple, is there anything they could do? It's not an iPhone, so no GPS.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    write down the serial number, and keep it somewhere safe. So if it gets lost or stolen, and they take it in for repair or something it will come up flagged as stolen when they pull it up on their system at the apple store.

Other than that there is nothing much else they can do.

3. biikman macrumors regular

Are you sure? From what I've read on various forums apple does not keep track of serial numbers or have the ability to locate stolen iPods.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple do not keep track of stolen iPods, but you can bring a police report and your serial number for Apple Store genius bar to add a note under the serial, in case it's brought in for service in the future.

5. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

Do you have the passcode lock on? And assuming it's the same as the iPhone (pretty sure it is, but not certain) you can set your iPod to delete all information on it after ten failed passcode attempts. That way, they at least won't have all your info.

6. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

You can use the app that tells you to call whatever number if lose, but if someone steals it and that is their intent I think ur screwed.

7. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

This. Basically you put a lock on the phone so when you wake it, it requires a number. Get that wrong ten times, and it will erase the data on it. You can even set it up, so it only asks after it has been asleep for a certain amount of time (up to four hours), so you don;t have to deal with it ALL the time.

8. ZuneMan? macrumors regular

9. OnTheiTouch2G macrumors member

Or just prevent it from being stolen.

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I "think" apple can push a code to delete a stolen/lost iPhone's data remotely. It would be nice if they could do that to a Touch as well.

11. ibridget macrumors newbie

Great advice here, I would also add there is a site www.myfoundcast.com where you can put in text over your wallpaper image and if someone finds your device (and hopefully is a good samaritan and wishes to return it to you) they will be directed to a link that will show them how to reference your ID number and get in touch with you so that it can be returned.

Obviously use common sense, be safe if meeting someone to get it back. Never meet the person alone and make it in a public area. But the finder doesn't get your email or any personal info,just a link to click on in order to contact you.. Luckily I haven't had this happen to me, but have tested it and seems to be a good idea. And free I might add, so why not?

12. Obama macrumors member

I didn't click the link above but I have an app (free) called 'if found'

Puts your contact and or reward info on the homescreen if found.