Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swatch555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Okay so I got my ipod touch 2 days ago and I wanted to try out the battery life while surfing on web and using youtube. But something really weird happened to me... actually when I finished using it, it used a little less then 1/2 of the battery (it was fully charged). And after that I turned it off (not sleeping mode). But then the next day when I wanted to use my ipod touch, I noticed that there was only about 1/4 battery remaining. The brightness was adjusted to about 20% and I do not use the equalizer. I just find it weird because since I turned it off completely the wi-fi shouldn't drain my battery right? Because I read somewhere saying that I need to turn off the wi-fi before turning it off? This is already my second ipod touch since I returned the first one due to battery issues. And I also have another question: For how long do I need to charge my ipod for the first time? The first time when I bought it, the person told me 3h. Then the second time, 7h.
That makes a big difference! For how long do you guys charge it for the FIRST time? Oh and my ipod can only last about 1h30 when I watch videos on youtube? Some people claims they can use up to 4hours though...
eee...long post here. I await your answers!! :)

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Mine lasts longer than that watching movies or music videos. I charge mine once every three days or so and I have wifi on all the time. I use mine as an alarm as well.
But what does burn my battery is playing the game apps. I'm not sure I can get three hours out of my iPod touch without charging. That Trism is addicting on an airplane.

danimal99

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Mine will continue to get email when it's "sleeping" so really you just need to go through your settings.

First, go to General settings and turn off Location Services. The iPod Touch help file suggests that it is a drain on battery if I remember correctly. Unless you're using Maps or something, you don't need it on all the time anyway. (I've never even got it to actually work fir me -- I'm not sure it even does work on 2.0).

Next, check that your WiFi settings don't have Push turned on. You can set a Fetch time of an hour or manually, to restrict how often it tries to do things like check your email.

Then, you may also want to go to the Advanced settings below the Fetch settings, and tell it to schedule the check of your email manually, which means it won't download unless you specifically launch the Mail app.

It really just sounds like your iPod was doing a few automatic wifi tasks in the background, but fortunately they're pretty easy to nip in the bud.

Of course, I've only had mine for 2 weeks and am still learning all about it. :) I'm not much of a manual reader myself, so I just keep discovering little things here and there.

swatch555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Should I always put my ipod touch in sleeping mode instead of turning it off completely? And I can't find the thing to turn off the maps...
Thanks!!:)

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama
Should I always put my ipod touch in sleeping mode instead of turning it off completely? And I can't find the thing to turn off the maps...
Thanks!!:)

Yes. Turning it off is unnecessary. As long as the settings are correct (as put into a previous post) it shouldn't matter at all.

Location services is Settings>General>Location Services. Be sure it's switched to off.

thebeesknees

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Mine will continue to get email when it's "sleeping" so really you just need to go through your settings.

First, go to General settings and turn off Location Services. The iPod Touch help file suggests that it is a drain on battery if I remember correctly. Unless you're using Maps or something, you don't need it on all the time anyway. (I've never even got it to actually work fir me -- I'm not sure it even does work on 2.0).

Next, check that your WiFi settings don't have Push turned on. You can set a Fetch time of an hour or manually, to restrict how often it tries to do things like check your email.

Then, you may also want to go to the Advanced settings below the Fetch settings, and tell it to schedule the check of your email manually, which means it won't download unless you specifically launch the Mail app.

It really just sounds like your iPod was doing a few automatic wifi tasks in the background, but fortunately they're pretty easy to nip in the bud.

Of course, I've only had mine for 2 weeks and am still learning all about it. :) I'm not much of a manual reader myself, so I just keep discovering little things here and there.

Thanks a lot! I almost never use Maps and stuff, so that really helps.

danimal99

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
Well you can still use Maps all you want, but if you turn off Location Services, the Touch isn't constantly (or periodically, I don't know) trying to find your location via your connected IP address. Browsing Google Maps in the palm of your hand can be really handy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.