Ipod Touch WiFi issues

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by danazc, Oct 20, 2008.

1. danazc macrumors newbie

So I have had my Ipod Touch for almost a year now and it is still the best and coolest gadget in the world IMHO. With that said I am still completely puzzled by the fact that no company that I am aware of offers some kind of internet plan for the ipod touch for like $10 or $15 per month?? Msndirect can get all live updates and scores to a watch, tmobile offeres online internet to the PSP, but yet Apple can't figure out a way to get unlimited anywhere internet to the touch? Great so I have wifi access at home with my other 3 computers, but what good is the gps or map system or 80% of the applications when I don't have wifi. Does anyone know of a product that you can buy for the touch to get us anywhere internet access and not just hot spot access at starbucks? My laptop I have a network card to get internet driving down the road, my watch can update anywhere in the country , yet the ipod touch is restricted to a wifi connection only??? Great Product, but too bad 80% of the ipod touch is useless without internet access. And don't even suggest the iphone cause I have had at&t service and by far hands down the worst phone provider EVER!

2. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

No... there's only wifi on the Touch... if you wanted internet everywhere, you should have bought an iPhone. There is no way to get the internet on the Touch anywhere... because Apple didn't want it on the Touch. If the Touch had internet, it'd be pretty much... an iPhone. You'd need a data plan like a PDA has... which would mean, you might as well have a phone in it, because how else are you going to get access to the internet without some way of communicating with a cell tower? ... so... it'd be an iPhone.

I'm not sure what you're confused about... if you wanted internet everywhere, you should have bought an iPhone.

Touch is good for people who want an iPhone but can't afford a data plan. For me it's pretty useful because I'm often in places with free hotspots. For me, I get to have a media player, a PDA basically, a gaming system, and internet access when I'm near a hotspot. There will never be a way to get internet on the Touch all the time... it goes against the whole design of the thing.

3. danazc thread starter macrumors newbie

ROFL.... I stated in my original post:

And don't even suggest the iphone cause I have had at&t service and by far hands down the worst phone provider EVER!

The Iphone is awesome, but they signed with an awful phone company so I refuse to go back to at&t to drop 6+ calls a day. Pretty sad that I can get my watch to get auto updates via the FM stream, and my PSP can get internet anywhere, but the great touch is handicapped in this department. BTW the Touch is not just an Iphone without a phone. What about the camera? Please read posts fully prior to responding incorrectly.

4. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

I saw what you said originally... but if you want internet anywhere on the iPod Touch... then you want an iPhone... and because it's only on AT&T, then you'd have to deal with that.

I did read your post, I'm simply suggesting that if Apple could release an iPod Touch with internet everywhere without using AT&T's network... then why would they bother dealing with AT&T at all? Why not just let iPhone users use whatever you think the internet would run through? Fine... yeah... the iPhone has a camera... and bluetooth. But there are only a handful of things that the iPhone has that the iPod Touch doesn't... and they need to be different in order to be different products.

How exactly are you getting internet anywhere on your PSP?

5. Obama macrumors member

I understand how you feel and I too wish there was a service available for that. I just found out that even a few of my apps(games) won't work unless I'm in a wifi area because they reqire u to watch an advertisement before you can play. Sux.

I tried the iphone (once before the update 'fix' and one after)twice but the baterry life was soo bad it defeated the purpose of having all of the features.

6. danazc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep and not to mention AT&T allowed me to drop 5+ calls each and every day, their service is Horribad. Like 50%+ of my APPS require an internet connections so without internet it defeats the purpose of the Ipod Touch features. As far as the post above about the Ipod touch and iphone, I disagree, if the ipod touch had anywhere internet, people would still get the iphone because the ipod touch is NOT a phone and NOT a camera. I just think this is a big design flaw with how the ipod touch works. If you give it wifi or internet access capabilities then they should support a package to offer a monthly subscription to internet. Funny how other companies Sony, Microsoft, etc has figured this out, but Apple is behind the 8-ball on this area. They should do an ipod commercial with the guy standing their saying Nice Ipod Touch, and then turn around and say "Yeah this thing is useless right now cause I don't have internet where I am standing" LOLOLOL

7. iCube macrumors 6502

There is free Wi-Fi EVERYWHERE!!!!! I can't imagine paying for a plan on my Touch. Hit "Settings" then "Wi-Fi" drive around, there is free internet outside of almost all stores. I'm on a free open network in my truck now. I pick up internet sitting at traffic lights...

8. biikman macrumors regular

you are pretty lucky then :)

I find alot of them walking to work, but they are all locked down...damn them!! lol.

9. danazc thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree, you are very lucky. I search all the time and rarely do I find an open (unlocked) network that I can access, most businesses are smart enough to lock them up. If they were really smart they would also not be broadcasting their SSID. I wish more people would just leave their networks unlocked. LOL Thankfully there are a lot of places that offer free wifi, but until that is more standard I guess we have to struggle through this pain.

10. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

11. Impulses macrumors newbie

There's a ton of free open WiFi down here, a lot of it is actually intentional. A lot of food courts and fast food places have free WiFi (usually sponsored by the ISPs, or vice versa, I dunno... I see the different ISP adverts all over tho), Dunkin Donnuts for instance (and it reaches all the way across to the Pizza Hut besides it, heh).

The food court at my nearest mall not only has free WiFi, but the Subway there has it's router opened up as well, and one other place does too... There's like 3-4 other places there w/routers broadcasting their SSDs but those are secured (don't ask me why McDonalds and half a dozen other fast food places all need their own independent WiFi...).

I think there's several free hotspots at the airport too, T-Mobile might set up some now that they finally joined the other big providers in servicing Puerto Rico. Whenever I'm in Denver I've seen free hotspots at their airport too. At school there's the college's own network, the cafeteria has it's own open WiFi as well, and there's a bar/restaurant across from campus that has a bizarre long range on it's WiFi and it's also open.

12. jackcarp13 macrumors newbie

yea

yea i know starbucks, dunkin donuts, and where i work has free wifi! haha now i just need to find out my schools password and ill be golden! haha