iPod Touch wifi mystery

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cecilworsley, Aug 21, 2008.

1. cecilworsley macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

A couple of weeks ago my aunt got an iPod touch. Everything has been working perfectly except for the most important and distinctive feature; the wifi. She is able to connect to her network but then she is unable get any internet. The network has a DSL connection with a regular Wireless G router with a bridged Time Capsule. I have no idea what the issue is but if someone could let me know what to do that would be great! The Time Machine and the iPod Touch have the latest firmware updates installed!

Cecil Worsley

2. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

With most modems/routers you can enable network access but not enable internet access. It's possible her DSL provider left wireless internet disabled, since most clients wouldn't know how to keep it protected or even that it was ON if it came that way.

Have your Aunt contact her DSL provider. They should be able to get her wifi working. The last few modems I've seen have a cryptic code printed on the bottom, which is the password she would need to enter to gain access. It's possible the wifi is there and she just needs to add the password to her Touch.

3. cecilworsley thread starter macrumors newbie

WiFi works for her macbook pro

she also has a macbook pro and a windows laptop the both of them are able to connect to the wirless in the house. And the iPod does show that she is connected to the Wifi she just cant get a connection when she goes to pandora or safri.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Assuming that the iPod shows good signal strength, the next thing to check is the Wi-Fi settings. Go to Settings/Wi-Fi/ and select the network. See if the router has assigned the iPod an IP Address and knows the Router IP.

5. cecilworsley thread starter macrumors newbie

ip address

Yes the ipod has a ip address subnet mask the entire deal i should be able to get to the internet. she has not tried it on other networks before so i do not know if it is a problem with hers or the ipod. please let me know what you think.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Okay, well that is a mystery. I'd try it on another network if possible. If it doesn't connect to the other network, check the IP settings as above before assuming anything. Sometimes the touch will indicate that it's connected but doesn't have an assigned IP address or a router IP.

7. gear71428 macrumors member

If you have an Apple store nearby, take it to them.