iPod touch wifi question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Outrun1986, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I just got my iPod a couple days ago, I noticed on my cousin's iPods that whenever they are in range of a wifi network the network pops up on their screen. It doesn't do that on mine, and I would like to make it do that, but I don't know which setting to change. The only way I know of seeing available wifi networks right now is going to the settings screen. I have the iPod touch 4th gen. Or did they change it in iOS4 so it doesn't do that anymore.

I thought this thing was supposed to automatically connect to unlocked wifi networks that were in range.

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

On my iPod Touch there is a setting under WiFi (in Settings) called "Ask to Join networks." I'm not sure if this will prompt you whenever a network was available, or if it only works when you are trying to access something that requires network access.

3. eddy2099 macrumors member

From what I understand is that if you set the 'ask to join network' is on, it would prompt you when it finds new network which you have not joined before. Those which you joined before would be automatically selected when your iPod touch is within range.

4. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Yep. Only when you try to access something that requires internet and you are not connected to internet.

Wrong.

5. Outrun1986 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so in order to get that screen I guess I have to use an app that requires internet. Thanks for the answer.