Ipod touch wifi school connecting

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pilvlp, Feb 4, 2008.

1. pilvlp macrumors newbie

Anyone know how to do this? I've been trying for awhile now. It's tough, but I know there's a way!

My school, hell my whole city has a wifi connection located near the major public buildings, including schools. I can select it on my touch, but when I try to use the internet, nothing happens. We have school username and passwords.

I'm using this method today, except the network name and network pw part:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...8MXZU6wjzKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20080119164402AAN7uEp

I have no idea how to get those, and my schools network shows up anyways.

If you have any secrets, tips, or know how to get on. Post PLEEEEEEASE!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Is it web based login or a VPN?

Have you checked out the Mac Guides?

3. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

4. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

MAC Filtered, most likely. My school network is, the IT department are tossers and get all peed off if you ask them to add a MAC address to the network.

5. pilvlp thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no idea what vpn is. You just sign on when the computer starts. Might not even be a username and password for wifi at all.

What if I go to the local library and talk to them about this. Think I'll get any info there?

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If they know about this, then yes, IT Support would be a better bet.

7. Syph macrumors newbie

Im kinda having the same problem but its more complicated I think.

My wifi at my school is not encrypted so basically you should be able to just get on. That said, when it comes to mobile devices such as my IPT, it shows a welcome screen asking for my email address. When I input that, it takes me to "external welcome page" and then goes to my schools homepage, but then it just dies there and says the server cannot be located.

Over time, the welcome page would not show up automatically so I bookmarked it and go to it manually, and then sign on. Last semester it worked half of the time. It seems as if 1.1.3 completely killed it and now I cant go on at all.

I dont know if it has VPN nor do I know my schools IT place (doubt its that accessible anyway) but the fact that it worked before 1.1.3 and not at all now makes me a little worried....

Any suggestions?

8. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

my school requires a MAC address submitted to the IT department for wireless use on any part of campus...until I submitted by MAC address it wouldn't work so you should check with your IT department first before everyone else