Ipod Touch Wifi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by unpluggedczc, Apr 30, 2008.

1. unpluggedczc macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I am truly grateful for MacRumors, mainly since it has helped me solve so many of my issues that I have never had to post a new thread before.

Now, I have scoured my problem all over google, and on this website, and if i missed it in another thread i apologize, but here is my dilemna.

I have a new 32gb touch, and my wifi is not working at all.

I can go to wifi settings, pick my networks, it says "connected to...network"

but, safari says "cant find server"

And THEN, (heres the difference between my dilemna) its not as if I have "greyed out" wifi bars or anything, I just dont have any bars at all next to "ipod" in the top left corner of the screen.

here is a diagram of my settings>wifi networks page, it will make sense if you look at yours to:
    x=check mark
    {[ ]} = slider switch

| ipod 9:31PM [bat%] |
    | <settings] Wi-Fi Networks |
    | Wi-Fi {[on][ ]} |
    |_________________________ |
    | Choose a Network... |
    | xNetwork 1 [wifi bars full] (>) |
    | |
    | print server [wifi bars full] (>) |
    | |
    | Other... (>) |
    | |
    | |
    | Ask to Join Networks {[on][ ]} |
    |known networks will be joined |
    |automatically, if no known ntwrks|
    |are available, you will be asked |
    |before joining a new network. |

notice that next to "ipod" in the top left corner there is no wifi symbol EVER.

If this is normal then i apologize, but either way, any suggestions?

Thanks,

CC

2. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Normal? Eh... I don't believe so. I honestly am not sure what's going on besides the fact that the signal may not be powerful enough. If you can't find any other solutions, you can always restore it and see if that works. Good luck.

For the record, this happens to me when I use many password protected or even just outside my home networks. I was at the doctors and I could not get Safari to connect. Wi-Fi was on, no password needed, and the signal had 2 bars normally, but sometimes 3. I can get it to work on some occasions but who knows why I can't all the time.

*I am assuming that you did touch on the network you wanted to connect to, though. Right?

3. unpluggedczc thread starter macrumors newbie

cheeckybobcat

thanks for your input,

ha you might not have seen it but i tried to show a check mark in my diagram showing that i had infact pushed it, and on my macbook the signal gets full bars, so I think i'm going to try and restore it, the software is taking forever to download tho

4. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Oh yeah, I see the check now. Sorry. I thought I took a pretty good look at that. If the restore doesn't work, post it. I'll try to help you out as much as I can.

5. linden macrumors regular

linden

I have also have a simaler incounter. When i try to connect to a network i havent connected to, lets say in the mall. It ses i have 3 full bars. But when i try to go on the internet it ses cannot connect. Well what I do its pretty much fiddle around with the network. For example. I make my ipod forget the network and then try to connect again. I reboot. And then FINALLY i get it.

Hope this helps.

---Linden

6. unpluggedczc thread starter macrumors newbie