Ipod touch wifi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by katmcg, Dec 6, 2007.

1. katmcg macrumors newbie

I have a probably really stupid question, but new to wifi.. I just bought an ipod touch and am wanting to connect to internet at home. I have a new iMac, and I thought they were configured for wireless..? The imac is connected via ethernet to broadband, does this mean I cant connect ipod to internet via imac airport? I am confused...isnt working...do i have to buy an airport base station for this to work? please help :eek:

2. sreedy macrumors 6502a

You can but you need to enable "Internet Sharing" in the System Preferences under Sharing, I was doing this just the other day with my iMac and Touch. You need to share your ethernet connection via airport, just make sure you set a password/encryption otherwise anyone can use it ;-)

3. katmcg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I tried that but it still isnt working, the touch recognises my imac but when i try to connect it brings up a screen w ip address/DHCP/BootP/Static etc. I have tried filling this all out (probably wrong), but there is no 'join' button anywhere...? What am I doing wrong? In the manual it sounds so easy...
    Other threads are suggesting I need a wireless router..do I? I just have standard dsl modem connected to switch box for multiple computers..no wireless..would that be the prob?