iPod touch will not import movie

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Holmes89, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

Whenever I try to drag a movie to my iPod touch I get an error that says "movie.m4v was not copied to the iPod "Holmes89's iPod" because it cannot be played on this iPod. How do I fix this, none of the movies that I imported will copy over so I can't watch any of them, any suggestions?

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What codec is the movie encoded with? Also what resolution is the file?

3. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

Video Codec: H.264 (MPEG-4)
    Video Dimensions: 640X352

Does that help? Is the resolution too high?

4. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Try this with one movie (a shorter one, for a faster trial). In iTunes, right click the movie>Convert Selection for iPod/iPhone

Then try it.

5. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

I don't see that option

6. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Since this method won't be of any use for the actual movie (due to how extremely long it takes, the fact that you have no control and no idea what the software is actually converting the movie to), why suggest it at all?

To the OP:

I have had this same problem in the past, in fact it hit me this weekend when six hours worth of movies would not play on my iPod after spending hours transcoding them.

I am not sure, but I think it's the h.264 setting. One would think that this would be an obvious choice, but if I remember correctly, un-checking the "use h.264" is what worked for me last time.

I will try mine again tonight and let you know.

7. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Because it works. For me, at least. The OP asked for suggestions. That's why I suggested it.

Oh, and by the way, long encode times doesn't make an encode useless. That's a ridiculous notion. Many encodes take longer than the actual length of what's being encoded.

8. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

I ran into that problem too and tried using the itunes program to convert and even that version wasn't accepted for transfer to the touch. I ended up using VisualHub to convert the movies to itunes form and it also import the movie to itunes. Now I have the movies on my touch

9. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem with some movies, and also with some video podcasts downmloaded from iTunes. Some episodes of specific podcasts play just fine, some do not. Any ideas here?