iPod Touch will not restore. iPod screen is black and iTunes gives error messages.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Lindor, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Lindor macrumors newbie

Lindor

Hello everyone.

This is the third time this has happened to me with this iPod, so I'd appreciate some help :) I've looked at similar topics, but none of the solutions that worked for them are working for me/they didn't have the same problem. Thanks in advance!

Yesterday I went to turn on my iPod (1st generation with 3.0 software) and the display would not turn on. The iPod was fully charged at the time, so I knew it wasn't dead. Upon looking closer I could just barely make out the apple logo on the screen, so I held the sleep & home buttons -- then the 'connect to iTunes' image came up, again very hard to see, like the screen was not being backlit.

I connected the iPod to iTunes 8.2, it recognized it (but not with the name I'd given it) and gave me the option to restore. Then it gave me the option to 'Restore & Update'. I clicked that option, and iTunes began 'extracting software'. Then I got the error message "The iPod 'iPod' could not be restored. An error occurred (1603)". The error occurs at different times each time I do it, and has different numbers at the end. I've seen error (1) and error (21) etc. Sometimes it gets past the "extracting software" phase and moves on to "preparing iPod for recovery" and doesn't cause an error for several minutes. Sometimes the error occurs right away.

I tried several times on my Macbook, then I tried on my Power Mac, and I get error messages on both. I have iTunes 8.2 on both computers.

I've tried restarting the computer and iTunes, and neither worked.

As I said before, this has happened two times previous to this one. None of them seem to have anything in common in terms of what would have caused it. The first time I was on an airplane coming back from Cuba (so no music for that flight :( ), the second time it did it at work, and then the this time I took it out of my pocket and it was like this.

Also, when the iPod is unplugged from the computer it is still on, because the bottom half of its back is warm to the touch.

The other two times I just waited until its battery died, and then plugged it in to charge and it was fine again. I'd really like to figure it out, though, since I know this shouldn't be happening. If need be I'll just wait for the battery to die, but that could take a long time.

Thanks again for any help! Sorry if I rambled. *^_^*

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Something might be wrong with the firmware. Do not restore, do a fresh install with the 3.0 firmware. I would recommend going to your local Apple store so they can do it since you already paid the $10. Or if you want to do it yourself there are sites where you can get the 3.0 iPod Touch OS for free.

3. mi986 macrumors member

I dunno if it would help, but maybe you could put it into DFU mode with QuickPWN or QuickFreedom.

I'm just sayin...

Kris