Ipod touch will not turn on

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tomjewett, Mar 12, 2010.

1. tomjewett macrumors newbie

My ipod touch was working perfectly fine, it ran out of battery and shut down, i forgot it had run out and turned it back on. It was on for a second said low battery an then shut down again. Now it will not turn on at all. I have pluged it into my pc to try and let it charge, i have put it onto a logitec ipod player to charge and it won't. I have tried holding the power button and the home button. I was wondering if anyone had any more tips on how to get it running again.

thanks
    tom

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

When you connect the iPod to the dock charger or directly via USB to your computer, you may have to let it charge for 15-30 minutes before it will boot up properly. Keep a close watch on what is displayed on screen. If you have wait that long, barring any software or hardware issues it should boot to the Apple logo then your home screen or passcode prompt. Consult http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1476 for the charging information.

3. tomjewett thread starter macrumors newbie

i have left it pluged in for over a day now, and there is still nothing on the screen.

thanks
    tom

4. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

maybe something is broken inside? is it under warranty?

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Just wondering...is your usb cord an authentic apple usb cord? I bought some usb through ebay and they would not charge my 3rd gen ipod touch...sooo the usb may be a factor. if not...have the genius bar check your battery.

6. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Yeah, I had the same problem with a fake iPod cord I bought for dirt cheap on Amazon... I just threw it away since it turned out to be useless. :eek:

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No one has told you to charge it from the wall charger???

Charge it from the wall charger.

8. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

I'm having the same problem. Yesterday It was working fine then nothing. The only thing I've changed was I just installed Snow Leopard. When I did that, it removed my updated version of iTUnes. I tried charging on my mbp and with the wall charger. I'm getting pissed cause this is the 2nd iTouch that did not survive 2yrs. My first one lasted 4 months. :(

dayum shame. my 3rd Gen. 20Gb iPod and iPod Video 30GB still works.

9. JediMeister macrumors 68040

@mofunk: I don't think downgrading iTunes on a computer determines whether it will charge, as long as it has USB 2.0 and meets the OS requirements. And 10.6 should have installed on top of your version of OSX, it should not have downgraded iTunes to a previous version...were any of your other applications on the computer affected similarly?

If it's the second iPod touch you've owned that has had this issue, I suspect it's something in your environment, the outlet/port you're using, the computer, the cable, or something else that hasn't been accounted for.

10. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

I just bought a new Mac. I was pointing out what I was doing when it went out. You know trying to eliminate the obvious. I've been using a Mac for over 20yrs and this was the first I've ever seen the OSX revert my iTunes (since 1.0). SL install turned off my firewall and change a few of my settings. I was aware of the icons changing, but it renamed my computer and my hard drive. Never have I seen that before. Weird. I use factory cables and nothing else in my environment is effected. Every Mac I have, uses it's own power surge and outlet. So, I quickly thought the only thing that changed was the SL install.

update: It's back. :) After waiting a day, I tried holding the home & hold button again for a few minutes and it came on after a few seconds. I hope this holds out until I can get another one.

This is my second iTouch. But it was the first time I saw that error. When I was using it with my PB G4 no error was given. On the 1st iTouch it could turn on but the iPhone OS couldn't mount. weird.

Hope that helps the OP.

@JediMeister That's what I thought. It's was weird. I checked my log and iTUnes that I had updated was gone. Only other App that I noticed that changed was Mail. It added another smtp. I don't it makes a difference if its .Mac/Me. But it was changed. All of my LCD settings were duplicated/triplicated. It's like everything was copied... weird. I will spend my weekend cleaner out all this extra stuff. thanks

11. tomjewett thread starter macrumors newbie

I have used the same type of itunes this entire time, and have used authentic ipod cords that i have been using for the past four months, but i dont have a wall charger so i will try to borrow one i guess and see if that orks.

thanks a bunch
    tom

12. metalhead777 macrumors regular

Could you mind telling us what generation the iPod Touch is? Also, how long have you had it? Have you had any problems leading up to this? If so, what were the problems? Looking forward to a response. :D :apple: