Ipod Touch Wireless Adapter Chipset?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 2o2, Feb 12, 2008.

1. 2o2 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know what the chipset of the wireless adapter the the ipod touch uses? As im interested in porting kismac or aricrack or another password recovery suite to the ipod touch. Thanks:D

2. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

A Marvell W8686B22. The Marvell W8686 family is a 802.11a/b/g WLAN system-on-chip. The iPhone has a W8686B13, which is likely a very similar part.

3. antibact1 macrumors 6502

You won't be able to do it, at least not easily. In a normal OS X installation, the wireless driver is provided through a .kext which can be unloaded and replaced with one that supports monitor mode. On the iPod Touch, everything is compiled into the kernel. Unless the builtin driver somehow has monitor mode support, which I doubt to be the case, you're going to be out of luck. If you can find some way to load a monitor capable driver simultaneously, Marvell actually provides an open source Linux driver to start with.

4. 2o2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea but with linux on ipod touch, it'll make things a little bit easier. WEP and WPA crackin on ipod touch would be insane!

5. antibact1 macrumors 6502

If your goal is Linux on an iPod Touch for Wifi hacking, you're better off buying a device that already has Linux on it and going from there. There has been no progress made yet of porting Linux to this device or the iPhone. This is also going to be difficult given the nature of the highly specialized multitouch interface. I agree this would be cool, which was why I looked into it initially, so best of luck to you.