iPod Touch wireless connectivity?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by elit3nemesis, Apr 13, 2009.

1. elit3nemesis macrumors regular

elit3nemesis

I just bought a new 32GB iPod Touch. I am having problems with my connectivity at home. I have a linksys router and running wirelessly. The connection jumps from 1 bar back up to 3 bars and sometimes disconnects. What do I need to do to have max range? My router is upstairs and I and downstairs. At my in-laws I was on the 3rd floor and there router was in the basement and I had 3bars all the time. What is a easy fix. Thanks.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

From what you've mentioned so far you've either got interference issues from other wireless devices/networks or you may want to bump up the security of the network, i.e. if you have WEP you should get it to WPA because Apple products prefer that wireless security standard. To address interference issues, take a look at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1365.

3. elit3nemesis thread starter macrumors regular

elit3nemesis

I'm not the most computer smart person in the world. What is the major difference in WEP and WPA. I have my Xbox 360 and PS3 and laptop running off of my wireless internet. (I don't have them all on at once though)

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

WEP can be cracked in about 5 minutes which means anyone can connect to it if they really want to, WPA cannot be cracked as easily, and is supported by more devices, including the iPod touch.

5. elit3nemesis thread starter macrumors regular

elit3nemesis

Thanks. I will try to give this a try. Hopefully this will be pretty easy to do.