ipod touch with a HDD?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by RubberDuck24, Jul 23, 2009.

1. RubberDuck24 macrumors newbie

I know that this is a taboo subject to discuss. However, since demand for mini HDD's like the ones used in the classics are fading, it seems that the current classic is dying, so I have devised a theory that might keep everyone happy.

My theory is that apple must combine the classic and the touch. the classic started it all, but the touch is now all the craze, mainly due to the app store and the amazing screen. The touch however has limited flash memory, and even if apple released a 64 gb version, audiophiles, and others with 64GB+ music collections will be disappointed.

My proposal is this. What if apple released a version of the Ipod touch with a 120 or 160GB HDD, AND also 8 GB of flash memory to save files like album art for cover flow (which laggs on the current classics). This way, ipod touch can be complete, having the best of both worlds, combining an entire music library in a revolutionary touch screen device.

8GB flash chips don't cost much anymore and when the next generation ipods are released it will cost even less. Even flicking through thousands of songs on the new Ipod touch 120GB shouldn't lag because the names of the songs are saved on the flash, while the songs data is saved on the HDD.

What does everyone here think?

discuss. :apple:

2. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

Now I'm not an expert on all that, but wouldn't that be very thicker? I know that the classic can get very thick. I know its not all the HDD, but I'm guessing a majority of it is. And something tells me that Apple isn't shooting for thicker. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3. RubberDuck24 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for reply

i agree with you when u say that the HDD will make the device bigger, but if you think about it, people put up with 160 GB ipod classics, and a touch with 120GB or 160GB will be very similar in size.

The consumer would have to make the choice of:

flash memory= thinner
    more memory= fatter

there's no going around that until flash memory gets cheap enough to effectively compete with better GB:$ ratio of HDD's.

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I think there is a general movement going on that says moving parts = bad. You can't run with an iPod Classic for example, or you shouldn't anyway. I see a transition to all flash based players, and maybe the classic will see a cost increase but have a lot of flash storage in it, who knows.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Apple is all about the form. Everything they've designed in the las 5+ years is sleeker, smaller, with fewer buttons (the MacPro being the exception). I love my iPod classic - I can carry around ALL my music and photos. However, I am an increasingly rare dinosaur. Apple wil NOT fatten up the Touch to accomodate the HDD. They will, however, phase out the increasingly irrelevant Classic.

6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Not going to happen.

Apple will not create a hybrid ipod touch that is fat, more expensive to make for a niche market.

They will keep the Classic with 160GB on and make money from it as long as they can. Eventually there will be a 128GB ipod touch and iPod nano. Then the Classic will disappear.

Who would buy a "ipod touch hybrid fat" model with 160GB for $599? That market is way to small. Although now that I reread the name it sounds cool. Like Harley Davidsons Fat Lady Bike........

7. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

hmmmm

I wonder what Apple would say about this. Over the years Apple has always tried to make things thinner. (MB Air, nano, shuffle). But has less accomodation for people with LOTS of music. I wonder what they would do if questioned about it.....

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If anyone has figured out how to navigate the iPod touch in your pocket, please enlighten me.

9. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

10. g2tegg macrumors member

What if Apple made a external drive that can be plugged into the bottom of the iPod touch? Or a portable drive with a ipod connector?

11. RubberDuck24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hdd

Good point, the classic is a dying breed that only has the large capacity going for it. Giving the iPod touch a portable HDD might eliminate the need for the classic, however who wants to carry around a ipod touch AND a portable HDD?:eek:

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Why bother? In a year or two from now, it'd be possible to make a 128GB touch using flash memory. I think they'll keep the Classic until then, for people who want to tote their entire music collection around.

13. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

With a HDD, Apple would have to sacrifice certain features like Shake to Shuffle and Shake to Reload, which is a feature in some apps (for example, Facebook, to reload a page). Ive read topics on here about people whose iPod classics were ruined because of the shaking motion caused by running with them messed up the HDD - Shake to Shuffle and Reload would have kind of the same results.

14. g2tegg macrumors member

Interesting concept. What about a expandable memory slot.. Especially for the iPhone considering almost all phones have memory card slots. A SD card slot would fit perfectly, and they come in 8 GB plus sizes. Just a thought. Imagine having a card for movies, a card for pictures etc.
    Like I said, just a idea. Flame suit on lol.

15. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

Yes, I'm leaving myself open to assault, but I still don't get why people are obsessed with carrying an entire 100gb+ music library with them. With the exception of lossless, I doubt these people could recall the contents of these libraries anyway...

You don't take your entire library with you when reading a couple of books.
    Neither do you carry your store cupboard with you for a picnic

management people. management.

16. RubberDuck24 thread starter macrumors newbie

true

you have a point. nobody in the past even dreamed of carrying their entire music library before the ipod came out. People have just got a bad habit of putting anything on the ipod JUST because they can. When really they only listen to <5% of the songs they actually have...

17. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I can't see a hard drive ever ending up in a Touch. The G-sensor and apps that use it simply isn't compatible with mechanical storage that doesn't like to be shook.

I just bought a 32gb SDHC card for $34. Apple gets an additional $100 for bumping the Touch memory from 16gb to 32gb. There is clearly room for expansion in this equation. Bet on a 64gb option this year, and 128gb next. Both holding that $399 price point.