iPod touch with Cellular

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nutmac, Jul 20, 2015.

1. nutmac macrumors 68040

I guess we should be ecstatic that iPod touch received a hardware update at all, but I can't help but feel disappointed that Apple is still denying iPod touch with Wi-Fi + Cellular option.

I think such configuration would be hugely popular among kids and even some adults, a segment that rarely (if any) makes phone calls.

2. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

What you and others who want this is simply wanting a cheaper iPhone. Nothing wrong with wanting that, but that's not going to happen... and it is unrealistic to even hope for. Of course it would be popular. It would also significantly shift sales FROM the iPhone and TO the iPod Touch.

When one examines the differences between an iPhone and iPod Touch w/cellular option it ultimately comes down to the different in price between the two devices.

3. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

They do. It's called an iPhone. All the features of the iPod touch but with the ability to use cellular! There's also a few added benefits too, like GPS, a vibrator, and a built in call placer.

4. nutmac thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple can limit the option to higher-end iPod touch configurations, 64GB ($299 + $129 = $428) and 128GB ($399 + $129 = $528). Apple charges $450 for 8GB iPhone 5c, so at this price, margin probably wouldn't be compromised significantly.

It has more to do with folks avoid paying exorbitant charges to phone carriers.

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

exorbitant? $25/mo. for 300 minutes/unlimited text/unlimited data? $45/mo. unlimited everything.

6. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

A few things:

1) Carriers wouldn't like this. They want the revenue from the monthly service fees of an actual phone. iPod touch + cellular + iMessage + FaceTime + Google Voice = cell phone for just the cost of the data package.

2) Its messages like this that clearly say to Apple "Make a 4" iPhone 6S" or: "Sell the 6C with better internals"

7. dinepada macrumors regular

dinepada

specially in Latin America where an iPhone costs arround 1200$ (16 gb)

8. bniu macrumors 6502a

In fact, I think the should go the other direction with cellular iPads and add full phone calling feature through the LTE radio on the iPad. No, it would not be intended as an everyday phone, but it would surely be convenient to use every now and then when you're already engaging with your iPad and need to make a quick phone call.

9. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You can already do that via Continuity with an iPad or iPod touch if you have an iPhone as well, but I know what you mean since that obviously requires having both devices.

10. WLS macrumors 65816

The ipod touch is just too thin to add that. If you need cellular then Apple wants you to get an iPad. I'm getting the new iPad mini in the fall with cellular. T-Mobile offers a free package for just email (200MB)

11. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

You can already do this if you have an iPhone on the same WiFi network (and same iCloud account), and even if you don't, iMessage and FaceTime will get you pretty close.

12. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

Well, if Apple had offered a 4.7" and/or 5.5" iPod touch and rebranded it as an iPad nano, that was my hope that it would have gotten cellular. But it didn't. Perhaps in the future.

13. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

I already make & receive calls on my iPad mini. I am grandfathered in on the unlimited att data plan from the first ipad. Heck, I even make calls from my iPod touch with wifi. With a Google number and all the VOIP apps out there, it's really easy.

14. Trickhot3102 macrumors 6502

Trickhot3102

The reason they don't give it cellular + wifi is because that's an iPhone.

15. Serelus macrumors 6502a

Serelus

Quite honestly, i'd sell my iPhone and buy an iPod touch. With everyone on whatsapp in my country, I could just call over my data plan. No longer need a phone. I don't think carriers or apple would like that.

16. Weiser878 macrumors regular

If only there were such a plan. Anything advertising that throttles data speed after a ridiculously low amount, like 3-5GB. Plus its on an MVNO which gets pretty unreliable coverage around here when there's a big event at the university like graduation or a ball game

17. zone23 macrumors 68000

My iPad can already make and receive phone calls.

18. zone23 macrumors 68000

So what would be the difference between a iPhone and an iPod then?

19. 617aircav Suspended

Of it had cellular how would they avoid those fees?

20. nutmac thread starter macrumors 68040

By far the #1 is benefit is cost. iPod touch with cellular will cost at least $100 less than comparable iPhone or offer a lot more storage for the same cost (e.g., $428 for 64GB + cellular iPod touch vs. $450 for iPhone 5c with 8GB).

Data plans for tablets typically cost a lot less than phones, especially if it's added to existing family plan. T-Mobile may even offer free 200MB/month as they do with tablets.

21. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

It still wouldn't be an iPad nano at 4.7" or 5.5" since the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus only run iPhone apps, not the iPad-optimized apps.

22. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

You can get plans for $35/m that include Unlimited Talk, Text, 2.5gb of LTE and unlimited at reduced speeds after that and have a real phone. Even cheaper if you want less data and minutes. There's no reason for apple to introduce such a product.

23. 617aircav Suspended

If you add cellular to the iPod touch it will not be priced the same. The price will go up at least $100.

24. lip008 macrumors member

For the older iPod touches third party companies sold a case with an extended battery and 3g connection. Freedom Pop currently has one for the 1st to 3rd gen iPod Touches. With the advancement of LTE across the country since a 3,000 mAh battery/case combo with a SIM slot would be great. You can get the free/cheap version hotspot from them as is to supplement data to the Touch when not around wifi, but carrying the device separately would be a pain. It's only a matter of time before a company makes the same thing for this current Touch. Heck, one may already exist and as the dimensions I don't think have changed much from the 5th generation....

25. WLS, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015

WLS macrumors 65816

saw the Apple media presentation and had some thoughts. For those who want a better Touch with touch ID a bigger screen better camera and GPS with cellular data Apple now is selling their Iphone 6 directly with a $100 discount so no contract! You can get an unlocked iphone 6 and just pick a data only contract or not but the point is you don't have to lock into an expensive cellular contract. You can get a 6 with 64Gb for $649. A 64GB Touch is $299 so yea its more money to get a 6 but you get more features which you have to expect to pay for. Apple makes it easy with the payment plan so you can afford it.