iPod Touch Woes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chrisworld, Aug 18, 2010.

1. chrisworld macrumors member

Hey guys I'm having a slight problem here with my ipod touch.

Specs:
    iPod Touch 3rd Generation
    32 GB
    OS 4.0.2 (But problems persisted since OS4 release)

The problem is simply this: It loses time when turned off. Now I know most of you will say "it never really needs to be turned off" but the fact, every once in a while it HAS to be reset (by reset, I mean restarted). I've encountered corrupt memory a couple times down the line, apps freeze, the os might freeze or get very slow and a restart is needed. More then once now my battery death has creeped up on me out of nowhere, I didn't realize it was so low and it died. But..even if the battery is alive and the device is powered off, time and date reset.

It goes back to any mid year months in 2008 and around 1-5 AM for time.

Now heres the real kicker. This creates two more INSANE, unexplainable problems when corrected.

Problem Number one! After changing the date and time back to normal, sometimes locking the device will cause it to never wake up from the lock (ex. Pressing lock or home wont wake it up) and it will have to be restarted. Of course, the time will be reset AGAIN. And sometimes, the lock problem doesn't happen at all.

Now for problemo numero dos..

This one occurs no matter if locking the device bricks it or not. Every time the date and time is successfully changed back, no matter WHAT WIFI network I'm on (it is NOT picky with this one at all) it totally nukes the entire network. Meaning, everyone on it experiences a disconnect. This has happened at home, friends, family's house, wifi spots all over. Wherever my plagued device is connected. The Router keeps broadcasting that it is a healthy wifi spot and a strong signal but reconnecting to it or putting the RIGHT password to reconnect just times out, how to fix this? The affected router has to be physically rebooted (by unplugging and plugging back in). To solve THIS problem I have to turn off Wifi when I fix the date and time!!!!!

Note, NONE of this has happened to my iPod on os 3.1.2, 3.1.3 but only since my upgrade to OS4.

Main question here is, restoring it going to help at all? Or is this a serious OS4 bug that apple needs to fix and restoring will waste my time when I have to batch convert 400+ apple lossless albums to AAC for my iPod for a day and a half, finding out this solved nothing at all.

EDIT: Yes, OS4 added the ability for me to maliciously nuke any WiFi network I want. No, I don't do it intentionally.

2. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

Just restore it. It should solve all of your problems. You'll just have to put all of your songs, videos, podcasts and apps back on.

3. chrisworld thread starter macrumors member

Yeah but it takes like a day and a half for my Apple Lossless songs to be converted down to aac!

4. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Unless your problems are somehow hardware related a restore is really your only option, it would also pay to set it up as a new device rather than restoring from backup to avoid any conflicts or problem settings etc. that could be transferred over with your backup.

5. guydude193 macrumors 6502a

If they're already in iTunes, the songs won't need to reconvert themselves.

6. chrisworld thread starter macrumors member

I delete the AACS, keep the Apple Lossless that they were originally in. I store my music from original CD's in Lossless for convenience. CD drive is a bit slow.

I exaggerated on it being an entire day, but it still takes a while to convert 400 apple lossless albums down to AAC which only way to fit them on my ipod. I guess tomorrow (or maybe tonight overnight) I'll start the batch convert and let it do it's thing.

Sucks to restore... I hope this problem does not persist after the restore, this started after OS4 upgrade so I'm wary as all hell.

I like OS4 too much to downgrade too..

7. chrisworld thread starter macrumors member

Well I restored the iPod.

All is well. Thank you. -- No more date and time errors! I wish I knew WHAT was causing that problem, but hell, it's gone now and good riddance I say.

I also did something to save me a bit time, and it was pretty cool. I used a program called iPhone explorer to backup the iTunes_Control directory of my iPod, than once the restore was complete, I deleted the new one from the iPod and replaced it with the one I had backed up. I restarted the iPod to ensure maximum results and there all my music was in the exact way I left it. Playlists even! No corruption or spliced screwed up songs!

The MAIN reason I did this is as stated before, I would have to have forced my mac to encode around 300 albums that I have backed up inb Apple Lossless, down to 256 AAC (iTunes Plus) which..well...would have been a long time to do as I experienced before.

Check out iPhone explorer, it's really great and for my situation saved me a LOT of time and got my iPod back up and exact in less than an hour. Thats how things are supposed to be done today, LOW downtime, fast maintenance.

http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

8. VictoriaStudent macrumors regular

VictoriaStudent

lol! This actually sounds more like a feature than a problem. If only there were an App....

9. EllieV macrumors 6502

Lol nuke your librarys network. Or better yet, your schools network lol.