iPod touch won't connect to 2.4GHz home wifi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ToTo Man, Mar 30, 2010.

1. ToTo Man macrumors regular

I just tried to connect my mum's new iPod touch to my home wireless network (quite an old Linksys 2.4GHz wireless router) but am having no joy. It finds the network ok but when I enter the WPA password I get a message saying Unable To Join Network. I have enabled the wifi setting on the iPod and also the join known networks automatically setting. What else should I do? The iPod is quite low on battery at the moment, could this be causing the issue?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you tried temporarily removing all security on the wireless router? This will allow you to see what is the probable cause of the problem.

3. ToTo Man thread starter macrumors regular

Just remembered the router has a MAC address filter enabled.
    How would I find out the MAC address of the iPod, or don't they have one?

4. stordoff macrumors regular

Just turn MAC filtering off. It's completely pointless.

Edit: Just to clarify: If I have your WPA key, I can trivially grab a packet out of the air, decrypt it and read off the MAC. Once I have it, I can do "sudo ifconfig en1 ether <MAC>" in Terminal, and your router now thinks that I have your MAC. Sure, this can cause weird things to happen on the network, but anyone who cares enough to crack the WPA is unlikely to care if it causes you problems.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Goto Settings>General>About and its listed there.

6. ToTo Man thread starter macrumors regular

7. illy123 macrumors member

MAC filtering just means that you will have a hard time accessing your network via wifi when it gets hacked as the attacker will deauthenticate you (as shown easily on youtube) and use your MAC.

What wireless settings are you using? WPA/2? TKIP/AES? 20mhz/40mhz? 2.4Ghz/5?

8. ToTo Man thread starter macrumors regular

As you can tell I'm not very network savvy from a tech perspective. The MAC address filter appeared to be the easiest and most fool-proof way of securing my network, but now I stand corrected it appears, so I have now removed it. I still have the WPA and TKIP authentication engaged, and the routers Firewall enabled at its default settings, and my laptop still recognises it as a secure network, however I am a little confused about how easy it would be for a hacker to gain access, not only to the computers on the network but also to the actual router setup page, as this page is accessed via a web browser entering the IP address of the router, e.g. 192.xxx.x.x. Once this page is accessed the WPA password is displayed for them to see. But of course they would first need to crack the user login and password to be able to gain access to this setup page, so I guess I've just answered my own question!

PS - It's a 2.4GHz network, although the router allows me to vary this in steps between 2.4GHz and 2.5GHz, presumably in the event of interference occurring at a particular transmission band?

Eventually I'm planning to replace the Linksys router with either an Airport Extreme or Airport Express (or both!). Would either of these routers offer more/less security than my existing Linksys router?