iPod Touch won't connect to the internet

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheCookie, Sep 14, 2008.

1. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

My iPod is connecting wirelessly to my Airport Express with no problems. However, whenever any application tries to connect to the internet, I get various error messages. :mad:

My MBP connects without any issue to the same Airport Express, and the Touch connects without any problems to the wireless network at my school.

I am also having problems getting my wii to connect to my Airport Express.

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks!

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

What do the error messages say?

3. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

You'll probably need to give more details than "various error messages". Does your router have WEP or WPA security enabled?

4. TheCookie thread starter macrumors regular

TheCookie

The airport has WPA enabled.

Error messages are...
    App Store: Cannot connect to iTunes Store
    Safari: Cannot Open Page - Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the Internet.
    Safari: Cannot Open Page - Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding (happens when I put in an IP instead of a standard URL)
    Mail: Cannot Get Mail - The connection to the server failed (outlook server)
    Mail: Cannot Get Mail - The connection to the server "imap.gmail.com" failed (gmail)

Any other information I can provide to help solve this?

5. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Does the iPhone OS support WPA? (It should, but you never know...)

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yep, my network is secured WPA and my iPhone/Brother's iPod touch connect fine.

7. TheCookie thread starter macrumors regular

TheCookie

8. Jammel macrumors newbie

Im getting exactly the same messages.
    But what i noticed can happen is if you disable wifi, then enable it again, it works for about 10 minutes...

9. BennyK macrumors 6502

I'd try resyning with your mac or pc and see what happens.

10. Jammel macrumors newbie

I've tried resyncing but it doesn't seem to do a whole lot of good. The wifi usually stops working when I lock the iPod for more than 5 minutes... Kinds weird.

EDIT: this only started happening when i downloaded the new update (the 5$ one... 2.1?)

11. pamack macrumors newbie

Exchange Mail: Cannot Get Mail: The connection to the server failed.

I have a similar problem...using Exchange Mail before the 2.0 upgrade and 2.1 update seemed to be working ok. Now I can get Exchange mail to my company server to work for a while, but then it begins failing. I have it set for Push email, but when I get into the mode of failed connections my battery life drops to about an hour or two...a real drag. Otherwise it can run for many days when the mail connection is ok operation.

I have it connected and sync'ed to my Windows laptop, with current iPod software. I can browse Internet with Safari, and can get other (games) to connect to servers.

If I delete the Exchange email Account, then rebuild it, then things work again...for a while but then I am back to being broken again.

This morning the thing worked for about an hour, then broke down again. Seems like Apple has some homework to do on this. :(

12. Master Debater macrumors member

The fact that your wireless connection is protected by WPA is the problem. The iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G have been having major problems connecting with WPA/WPA2-encrypted internet connections.

I suggest disabling WPA encryption from your router's address. See if it works then.

13. pamack macrumors newbie

Aha, but several things differ for me.
    - I have an iTouch 1 running the 2.1 firmware,
    - I am connecting wirelessly on an unprotected router, no WPA or other encryption is used.

In addition, let me also add a symptom of the iTouch...when it is not connecting to the Exchange Mail server then the iTouch clock is wrong, running late by about 6 hours (not exactly 6, and I am in the Pacific (+8) timezone so it does not seem to be a timezone issue).

-Patrick

14. Master Debater macrumors member

I was referring to the original poster's problem. Sorry, I can't help you with yours.

15. Shivetya macrumors 65816

I am having a similar problem.

I acknowledges my wireless connection, it takes the password and shows connected, but no application that requires that makes use of it. All of them fail with similar messages as mentioned by others.

This is a new out of the box iPod Touch. Very annoying. My iMac, and my Toshiba laptop have zero issues with the connection. The connection uses a WEP password (basically 10 digit password).

I knew I was connecting the router (AT&T DSL) because I muffed the password the first time.

16. baseball-kid8 macrumors member

17. Joe Hill macrumors member

There is most likely a bug with WPA authentication in the 2.1.1 firmware. I also had this problem with WPA. All other types of authentication (WEP, WPA2, etc) work fine.

There is a thread on the Apple forums somewhere about this aswell.

18. rybolt22 macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue on my ipod right after I upgraded...it will connect to my AEBS with WPA enabled and works fine when I connect but it will not stay connected...when it goes to sleep or locked, I have to reconnecte every single time! I started immediately after the upgrade.

19. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

A time discrepancy of several minutes (10+) can lead to rejected connections. At least it does in a Windows-Environment and since you connect to exchange that's most likely your problem.

20. antonczuba macrumors newbie

I have an Ipod Touch 3rd gen on IOS 4.1
    It started disconnecting so I restarted my router and restarted my ipod and it works with no more problems.

21. Goose113 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Seems like u have a wifi problem go to setting the go to ur wi fi then see how many networks u have then if u don't have a VPN code for a secured networks then ur out of luck if that don't work then sumthins wrong with ur iPods wi fi send it back to apple for a Replacment .

22. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

This thread is more than two years old and people are still responding?

Sometimes I hate Google.

23. Goose113 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well I have a tip and trick for u TAKE THE FORUM OFF !

24. TheCookie thread starter macrumors regular

TheCookie

I guess I'm just 2 years ahead of my time...?

25. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

Meh. At least you got your software fix.

How's it working now?