iPod Touch working as a WiFi adapter for Mac

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by geekindisguise, Jul 28, 2009.

1. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

First I tried iPhone tunnel suite to use my ipods internet connection for internet on my computer, but I didn't get it to work and I couldn't find the Mac version. So now I am trying to find another way.

What I want to do is connect my ipod touch with USB to my Mac, and then have the iPod touch share it's wifi connection with the Mac. Then my Mac can get on the internet whenever my ipod is connected. I don't use my Mac all the time with the internet, so I want to have a sort of plug in play of the ipod and the internet connection.

This is probably very confusing, so I am sorry. I am not good at explaining things. :D

Thanks!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Why don't you use the Airport on the Mac? Why are you trying to tether to an iPod?

3. geekindisguise thread starter macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

Because my Mac doesnt have Airport, and I don't want to go buy an Airport card when I barely use the Mac for internet.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

You said that you tried to use the iphone tunnel suite? Does that mean you have windows installed? If so, jailbreak your ipod touch, and then with cydia download pdanet. Then open it and go into settings and enable USB mode. Connect your ipod to the computer with the usb.

Then, in windows, go to this page and download the pdanet desktop client for windows. This application has a trial period but it is 30$ after. After you have installed this there will be an icon in your taskbar. Click on this icon and then click "connect." It should connect to the internet through your ipod's wifi connection. Obviously these speeds are not going to be as fast as an aiport card, but it is an alternate solution.

This will only work when booted into windows but if you only use the internet every once and a while, then this should be ok for you.

5. geekindisguise thread starter macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

NVM, I gave up on that idea. I ordered an Airport Card for my Mac so I'll have Wireless Internet soon! :D