Ipod touch worth it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dan7592, Apr 7, 2008.

1. dan7592 macrumors regular

I have a higher capacity ipod classic but I want this just to have the internet and maybe some music on it. Is it easy to use the internet on it? are the newer ones easy to jailbreak? That's all I Basically need to know right now.

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you're just going to use it as an internet device, then there are probably better options out there. The internet is easy to use but the interface is horribly inefficent and the device/browser lack many essential features (some of which may come in the future, some of which may not). However, if you're gonna put a decent amount of multimedia on there, then it's probably your best option.

3. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Internet is easy as can be. Jailbreaking is the same on all of them. Although if you dont have a phone contract and can afford it I would recommend the iPhone.

I would like to know what the better internet options are out there that are as portable as the iPhone, iPod Touch??

4. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

I am almost positive that the iPhone and iPod Touch have the most advanced Internet capabilities that are this small/portable. Just as Steve said, just about every other smart phone have some sort of "watered down" Internet. I haven't done tons of research on this topic but to my knowledge the iPhone and iPod touch are as good as super portal Internet devices get.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

No. The Nokia internet tablets are much better internet devices. They've got flash, faster wifi connections and browsing speeds, ability to link to mobile phone, soon to be wimax, java, better screen resolution, etc. It just doesn't have a fancy interface. Outside of the browser, all of the multimedia apps and stuff truly suck as does the OS, but it's still a more powerful internet device. However, if you take away the browser, you've almost got a paperweight.

And FYI, Steve isn't God, and not everything he says is fact.

6. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

Yes

yes the iPod touch is definitely worth it, i have had mine literally since the day they came out and i love it. As far is the internet interface goes it is very easy to use and i love using it. I am not sure about the jail breaking, but from what I've heard it is easy to do. The device is worth it even if all you use it for is internet and occasional music. 5 stars, bravo apple:apple:

7. Orng macrumors 6502

Got mine two weeks ago, because I was going away on business to a cellphone-unfriendly situation (on a ship, yes I was working). High roaming charges on the high seas but I found out ahead of time that they had wifi on the ship, so the iPT seemed like a pretty good idea to keep in touch with my wife and with the office.

Well... If I was being really honest, I'd have to say that I wanted an iPod Touch and this seemed like an ideal excuse to buy one and write it off.

So far, so good, I love it. Jailbroken with pwnage just so I could install Stumbler, and now it's REALLY useful.

What it boils down to though is, I really enjoy it, especially if I can find wifi, but I sort of wish more people left their networks unprotected. :) But just try the password "admin" and you're probably in. Considering my needs are more online than media playback, I might have been happier with an iPhone so I could use the features all the time, but I'm in Canada and don't want to pay Rogers' roaming fees! But when I'm not scanning for unprotected wifi, or when i'm connected to a known network, I really enjoy it a lot. I use it a lot more than a laptop these days.

Anyway, the WIFI on the ship sucked, but I was amazed at how well I could pick up wifi signals from certain islands. 10km out from Nassau and I was seeing networks which really surprised me. Too weak to send email till I was a bit closer, but still.

One thing that was interesting, I hit the "locate me" button while standing on this pier in Nassau, I know that area isn't covered, but I wanted to see what would happen. The iPod thought I was standing on the end of this pier in Sag Harbour in NY. Yeah, I knew it would be wrong, but I'm pretty impressed that it still put me on a pier.

8. phooi macrumors regular

Yes. It's replaced my laptop for recreational surfing. There may be better devices right now but none as elegant. Also any advantage the other devices have will diminish over time.

BTW, I wrote this response on my IPT while sitting here at the Burbank airport.

9. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

if all you want to use is Internet don't bother. The Internet is very weak. All you can do is browse without flash, without being able to download anything, you can't save images, can't copy and paste. It looks good but isn't that good.

10. slybeans macrumors member

I use my IPT at my uni for the wifi and its awesome

11. boramora macrumors member

boramora

The only problem I have with going on the internet with my iPod touch is that the internet is too slow even with Wifi. That plus I can't get internet anywhere without wifi so you're limited to where you can browse the internet. Even on my iPhone though the Edge network is horrifically slow almost like dialup :confused:

12. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Steve who?

:p