IPOD Touch would like to drag & drop song folders into playlists, please help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bnbhoha, Oct 2, 2009.

1. bnbhoha macrumors newbie

Just purchased a 32gb Itouch. I have over 6K songs in English and another language. The itunes caches all the songs in to one list. I don't want to click/drag on each separate song over to the playlist. I tried to drag my organized folders into a playlist to no avail. For me, the itouch is usless if I can't drag and drop song folders into playlists. Is this achievable? I'm about to return it and thought I would ask here first. Any help is appreciated.

2. SeverinK macrumors newbie

Multi-Dragging?

What kind of playlists are you trying to make? like a certain artist or genre? because the ipod already does that for you but otherwise what you can do is drag not every single song but a bunch of songs at a time, there a couple ways to do it when you hit command (on a mac) or ctrl (on a pc) you can select songs and then drag them all over together, number 2 you can click on one song scroll over another song hold shift and then click on the second song. and the last thing i want to point out is that on the ipod touch there is a feature called Genius that takes songs that would go well together, and puts that in a playlist, and even if that doesn't work I don't suggest bringing back your ipod since it has a lot more to offer than just music :D

hope that helps

:apple:sev:apple:

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Make an empty playlist in iTunes, drag a folder into that playlist. Repeat for each folder you want to turn into a playlist.

4. bnbhoha thread starter macrumors newbie

THanks for the replies. I have folders already on my PC for example. 80's music, foreign songs (lots of them), songs from my friends etc. I was hoping I could give the same name to the playlist as the folder and drag the folder into the playlist. I add my music library to the the ipod, it puts everything together. I kinda figured out a way to do it by adding one folder every day and then sorting the songs by date and the drag/dropping those songs into the appropriate playlists. I was hoping there was an easier way to do it by simply dragging my folder into the playlist.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

But that's what my method should do. Make a playlist, name it "80's music" or whatever, then drag your "80's music" folder directly into that playlist, instead of into the main Music Library.

6. bnbhoha thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Nightspring. I know ur not going to believe me, but now it works. The reason I posted this was because it wasn't letting me drag folders into the playlist and now it does. Thanks so much because I wouldn't have tried it again. Not sure what happened.

If I could bother you for another question. I know the Ipod doesn't let you delete songs off the player itself and that you would have to do it through itunes. I have a lot of songs and from my research I was told to simply rate the songs and delete the ones with one star. So as I listen to the ipod I will give one star to the songs I want to delete and then plug the ipod into the computer and sort list by ratings and delete the one stars.

Here's my question:
    1. I would like Itunes to permanently delete the song from my computer when I click delte inside itunes. Will it do it? If so how? Also noticed that inside my playlist folder when I delte the song it doesn't delete it from the main music folder (which is the way it should be). However, is there an option to delete the song entirely from the playlist folder so that it gets deleted permanently?

2. extra credit: If I changed the data information of the song in Itunes, can I get itunes to make the changes to my songs on the computer (not just in itunes). If so, how? Thanks a lot for the help. I'm liking the itouch more and more.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Glad to hear it's working now! :)

If there is a way to do that from within a playlist, I don't know about it. But if you delete the songs from the main music folder, then a dialog box should pop up asking you if you want to delete the song from your computer.

Whenever you change data information for a song in iTunes, it *does* change the song files on your computer. In fact, there's no way to NOT have it change your song files.

However, if you have iTunes set to copy your song files when you import them, rather than leave them in their original location, then you will have two copies of your songs on your computer, and one set would have the changes you made to them in iTunes, and the other won't.

Further, if you are manually managing music on your iPod, that's yet another copy of your song files, and since iTunes don't let you import those files back to your computer, any changes you make to those files would get lost if you lose your iPod or upgrade/exchange to another device. From what I see so far about how you like to interact with your music, I strongly recommend you sync your songs to your iPod if you are not doing so already.

8. bnbhoha thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply.

"But if you delete the songs from the main music folder, then a dialog box should pop up asking you if you want to delete the song from your computer."

The dialog box never came up. It just deletes it from itunes and the song is still on my computer. Perhaps my itunes is not setup correctly, Is there a check box I need to check.

Also, I changed the artist name in itunes to see if it would affect the main song file on my computer and it did not. In addition, itunes will not let me rename a song. (I have my songs in my original location and did not import them). Perhaps I'm not suppose to be manually managing my music? I forgot what the benefit of manually managing is. Any advice is appreciated.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hmmm, it's been a while since I tried to delete any songs from my iTunes. I just tried deleting one, and you are right, it doesn't ask to delete the file from the computer! Sorry about that. I guess we just have to right-click, pick "Show in Explorer/Finder," then delete the file from there.

As for your saying that changing the artist names in iTunes didn't affect your song file on your computer, how did you check to see whether the file on your computer was affected? I'm really puzzled why iTunes wouldn't let you rename a song -- for me, it works exactly the same way as when you change the artist name.

As for manually managing your music, I've always manually managed mine, because I hate the way iTunes organizes the music on the hard drive, and I like to always know where my files are. It's really a personal preference, and which you pick shouldn't affect how iTunes stores the song info.

10. Macfisto macrumors member

Unless I am mistaken, the pop-up box, when it appears it asks you the usual "do not ask again" checkbox. So if you have done this before, you won't see it anymore (not sure how to bring it back). My pop-up always pops up for me (but perhaps I should check the box as I never delete from my computer from Itunes)

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Preferences -> Advanced -> Reset dialogue warnings

12. bnbhoha thread starter macrumors newbie

I went to my music folder on my computer and the song or title didn't have any changes. Also, I reset the dialogue box; however, when I click delte it says, "ARe you sure you want to remove the selected file from you itunes library?" It removes it from the main music folder but the song still remains in the main folder. I wonder if I need iTunes to copy my song files when I import them, rather than leave them in their original location. Almost have this all figured out. THanks

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well of course the file name doesn't change! Like, if you write a letter, and save it on your computer, then you later edit the letter and save the changes, the file name of the letter doesn't change, right? Same thing. The changes are made to the file data, not the file name. You need to open the file with a program that reads the file data (like another media player, or programs called mp3 tag editors) in order to see if changes were made to the file.

If you know how to check the date when a computer file was modified, make a change to your song file in iTunes, then check the file modification date -- you should see that the file modification date is when you made the change in iTunes.

*sigh* I don't know what to tell you about that, I'm pretty sure it used to ask you whether you wanted to delete the file from the computer or not, and as I said before, I've always manually managed my iTunes library. Maybe you could ask on the iTunes forum, and somebody might know?

14. bnbhoha thread starter macrumors newbie

Night Spring, you've been a great help. I tested ur theory and you're absolutely right. The data has indeed changed. I will ask about deleting the songs from the computer in the forum. I read the itunes manual and it says what you said. There should be two options when you click delete on a song; one for just the library and the other from your computer. Thanks a bunch.