iPod Touch & X-Rays

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Cammunicator, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Cammunicator macrumors newbie

Any problems running your iPod Touch through an airport x-ray machine?

2. theman macrumors 6502a

problems as in, they will think its a bomb, or problems like, it will break the touch?

anyway, both of them are no. they probably will want you to take it out and run it through the xray separately along with your keys etc. not sure though.

3. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

It's a common misconception that airport x-ray machines will mess up the ipods. I've done some research on it and basically only on rare occasions will something get messed up but the airport x-ray machines use light to see through objects, not magnets therefore nothing gets messed up.

4. Cammunicator thread starter macrumors newbie

5. djchristie macrumors member

djchristie

Mines been through about 12 airport scanners since xmas and had no problems at all, so think it's pretty safe!

6. manhattanboy macrumors 6502a

manhattanboy

I would not recommend running it through the machine... just follow the normal security procedure and place it on the screening belt. If you are intent on running past security in the US they will likely shoot you.
    Keep yourself alive :p

7. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

"No, there has never been a report of any harm coming to an iPod during security checks. Metal Detectors, X-Ray machines have no effect on them. Airport security staff may request to see the iPod working, as they now do with laptops and other electronic equipment. If you have any concerns about carrying it through security place it into your carry-on luggage which will be X-Rayed. If the security staff wish to do a physical check then be prepared to demonstrate it working."

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/faqs/answers/will-airport-x-ray-machines-harm-my-ipod-will-it-work-above-10000-ft/

8. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Everybody has to run their laptop through the scanning equipment as well as phones, etc and no damage thus far has been reported.

9. Delia macrumors member

About the worst thing I've heard of happening, has been people stealing ipods from the plastic bins as they come out the other side.

Keep a close eye on your stuff at the X-ray, otherwise, it's fine.

10. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I used to travel a lot during college with my football team and to travel home and i've run several generation of iPod's through airpot x-ray machines and never had anything happen. I've run my touch through a few times and it's just fine.

11. love2laugh12 macrumors newbie

Angry!!!!

i actually just got back from traveling and the airport X-ray did ruin my ipod touch!!! on the way to where i was going nothing happened, but when i came back... another story. I got out of the security place and looked at my ipod touch, it was off before. It was now only alseep and the screen had a cord and an itunes signal! thats how it looks when you first get ur ipod!!! i have not dowloaded my music onto my computer, so its all gone!! almost all my music!!! i believe the airport X-ray reseted my itouch, and i am furious!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad: Does anyone have any advice???? :confused::confused:

12. battlekid macrumors regular

Any 1st grader can say that an xray is NOT light. It's a ray of radiation. Light? WTF! You need to go back to kindergarten.:eek:

13. battlekid macrumors regular

Is it Jailbroken? X-rays won't kill touches:D There might be a problem with the ipod itself. I am visiting grandparents in canada right now, i flew here on a plane, my ipod did not have ANY problems. When i flew to Kauai last year no problems too. :rolleyes: you are needing to think more.... I send my $1000 HD camera and tapes through the machiene---- It's fine. Hell, most FILM is fine. So i seriously DOUBT that the xray killed your ipod. Now, if it shot Gamma rays at it, i'd totally agree that it killed it:D

<edit> Or if it send EMP pulses at it it would be totally BRICKED :D

14. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

15. djellison macrumors 68020

No it didn't. This entirely coincidental. Seek warranty replacement or repair for your broken device.

16. bleeper macrumors newbie

Hmmm... you're correcting someone by saying it's not light but a ray of radiation? You might want to educate yourself on the electromagnetic spectrum. Here's a primer with some nice pictures for you.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/science/know_l1/emspectrum.html

17. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Both visible light and X-Rays are part of the Electromagnetic Spectrum. X-Rays are just above ultra-violet light, which is right above visible violet light in the color spectrum.

So the poster wasn't really as off as you're making him out to be. Besides the fact that this isn't a physics forum, so who cares. :D

18. skiltrip macrumors 68030

thumbs up

thumbs up to this link.