Ipod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by theone1, Feb 22, 2009.

1. theone1 macrumors newbie

Hey, so I decided to get a 2g Ipod Touch :apple: and I read the features of the itouch on the sticky and it seems perfect! But I had some questions before buying it.

1) Is it really worth it for a 8gb or 16gb (2gen) one? Im almost 100% sure that Im going to buy it, but just in case.

2) Are all the applications that are worth looking, getting, using on apple.com or their are others on other sites? (Please post awesome applications websites)

3) Ok, I went on google and I read multiple topics and questions about this and their were a variety of answers, Is the Ipod Touch 2G 8-32gb Jailbreakable?
    I read yahoo answers that said they werent but that was 2-4 months ago, but is the 2 GEN jailbreakable? Can I just go on youtube and find it?

Thanks!:D:D:D

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Reply in red.

3. blackbelt534 macrumors regular

whenever you reboot you do not lose the jailbreak, and jailbreaking is not illegal

4. theone1 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, I respect all replies.
    Also is the ipod touch strong? Like is it hard to break and durable? I think my brother has those plastic screen protector, but he also has another plastic back protector too. Is the one for the back needed? Shouldn't i get a silicion case to protect the back or just the plastic sheet back shield?

Thanks

And I think jailbreaking is illegal, BUT this is just from my knowledge not from actually sources. So I guessing jailbreaking is NOT worth it because it could "damage" your itouch?

5. JoshJosh117, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

According to Apple it is; they're labelling it as copyright infringement as it isn't solely using the pre-installed OS (I read an interesting article at, I think, Mac News World, the other day).

7. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

I own a first generation iPod Touch 16 GB and my advice based upon my experience with it is simple: Don't buy the bloody thing.

It's a closed, proprietary platform with very limited use and will be entirely dependent on what Apple arbitrarily allows you to do with your own device and what applications they are willing to sell you. The iPods and the iPhones are as much like Orwell's 1984 as a gadget can be.

Maybe jailbreaking it is a legal problem in the US, I don't know and I don't care - I live in a more liberal part of the world where these things are not a problem.

But think about this: You are actually willing to purchase a device that you have to jailbreak to be able to do with it what YOU want. Why do you want to spend your money on something like that?

When I bought my iPod Touch, I was naively believing that Apple would really open the iPod Touch and the iPhone to third party software developers. What they actually delivered a few months later was the most restricted software development platform in the world. And all their shiny marketing cannot wash that fact away.

Buy something else. Maybe a Neo? http://www.openmoko.com/

8. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

:eek: Nah fanks looks hideous! but each to their own :confused:

9. MrSEC macrumors regular

Really? I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight....

10. MrSEC macrumors regular

Apple can put in their EULA that chewing gum is illegal.This locking stuff down like MS is going to come back and bite Apple in the @ss at some time down the road.

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I agree. I couldn't believe it when I read it - it seems that Apple is trying to force-feed consumers into buying more and more of their stuff. I miss the days when people bought something and could do as they wished with it...hey, they paid for it, it's theirs to have control over!

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Umm... Apple isn't monitoring your iPod to see if it's jailbroken so that they can arrest you and if you walk in to an Apple Store with your jailbroken iPod touch they're not going to arrest you or void you warranty just like that.
    Now if you're going in to the Apple Store to get your iPod replaced or get help resolving an issue and your iPod is jailbroken, they will just refuse to help you.

13. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Exactly. I can't quite grasp how it's classified as "copyright infringement" in the first place. I refer back to my last post - people should have the freedom to do what they want. Yes, Apple only offers warranty for people that abide by the EULA and use nothing but the legit, un-hacked software. But if someone chooses to jailbreak their iPod, and it screws up, at worst it should be a case of Apple saying "suck it up, you broke the EULA, deal with it"...it seems a bit harsh for them to try and make legal threats that, as you said, wouldn't amount to anything against the user to begin with.

14. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

So, if you go to Apple for help with a jailbroken iPod they will make legal threats?
    First time I've heard of that.:confused:

15. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

http://news.cnet.com/apple-iphone-jailbreaking-violates-our-copyright/

They don't explicitly say anything regarding legal issues, but that's usually a huge part of "copyright infringement".

16. keynina macrumors newbie

keynina

I did it one time and my iPod touch froze up and laged so many times I had to restore it. So save yourself some time and DO NOT JAILBREAK:D.

17. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Then you must have done something wrong.
    Although, I can understand if the iPod touch you jailbroke was a second generation, that jailbrake is a pain.