iPod Touch4 makes iPad2 look like stepchild

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gigaguy, Mar 29, 2011.

1. gigaguy macrumors 65816

A bigger stepchild, but a stepchild. The ipod Touch4 hi-res screen resolution is amazing. I just got one for a friend and it looks wonderful. I know it's smaller and this helps alot, but even so, video resolution on it is wonderful. Games look 3D on the Touch, and the color and clarity is very fine.
    I know the cost and production demands (and maybe marketing need) did not allow the upgrade on the iPad 2.

You can also see the limits of the iPad2 screen if you have the HDMI out plug. Hooked to my HDTV screen the TV image shows how lower res the iPad2 screen is.
    I loved my iPad 1 and now, the 2, but seeing what could have been is a little disappointing.

2. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

So you prefer a TN TFT screen to a IPS screen?:confused:

3. gigaguy, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, I don't know, but the clarity and resolution of the Touch4 and HDTV make the iPad2 look almost like VHS in comparison.

4. slicecom macrumors 68020

Look at both screens at any angle other than head on. The iPads screen is superior in EVERY way except pixel density. The iPhone 4's screen is the ultimate portable display at the moment IMO.

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The iPad has a higher resolution display (1024-by-768) than an iPod touch (960-by-640). But you were referring to pixel density.

Not sure what your HDMI example was supposed to prove. The iPad 2 outputs 1080p. Do you have a better TV than that? The native UI of the iPad 2 is approximately equivalent to a 720p TV. Not exactly VHS (analog 480i).

6. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

ipad only outputs 1080p for 'some' movies. all other ipad functions are less, and look much better on any HDTV. the difference is remarkable. I always thought the iPad screen looked good, but seeing iPads pages, games, etc output to an HDTV shows the difference is all I'm saying. They look pristine on HDTV but are Not 1080p.

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I really don't know what you are trying to say. I thought you were comparing the iPod touch 4 to the iPad 2. And how could the same content "look much better on any HDTV" than on the iPad?

8. gigaguy thread starter macrumors 65816

It does, check out the HDMI output connector and see how the screens look on a higher res display.

9. billhelm macrumors regular

Gotta say, just got an iPad 2 after being only a iPhone 4 user for about 8 months and the pixel thing takes some getting used to. I find myself holding the iPad further away from me because the pixels bug me otherwise.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, but there is a noticeable difference.

It's funny, the reverse is true too, the iPhone 4 screen seems so small when I use that after a long iPad session. :p

10. Jcoz macrumors 6502

Yeah, I was taken back by the difference, as I thought people were exaggerating when they talked about that effect (iP4 screen dpi vs iPad)....

So much so that I dont know that I want an iPad 2 anymore if I can get a 1st gen for the right price. JUST missed the Verizon sale.

$299 was a done deal, so pissed I missed that article over the weekend!

11. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

It does what? Compared to what? And what content are you talking about?

You are all over the place. You were initially comparing the iPad 2 to an iPod touch 4, but now you appear to be comparing it to an HDTV. :confused:

12. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I don't understand him either. How the lower res (albeit with a smaller screen) device output better picture to HDTV than a higher res device?