Ipod Touch4g or Ipod Touch5g?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by L I G H T I N G, Feb 16, 2011.

1. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

Well I am going to purchase an Itouch soon but I just dont know which one to get.

Should i just get the Itouch4g right now or wait a few more months until Itouch5g comes out.

Of course I dont want to wait at all and just buy an itouch right now but the Itouch 4g will be outdated in just a few more months.:(

However i am looking forward to the itouch 5g having

better camera
    IPS
    more GB at similar cost
    Increased RAM

I am very indecisive right now, Can you post your opinions on which one i should get ( just put yourself in my shoes and if you didnt have an itouch4g right now, what would you do?)

Yeah i know specs of Itouch 5g havent even surfaced yet but can anyone give me idea of how Itouch5g would be different from 4g(its hard to predict but I am sure out of the whole net, this place would give me the best answers.

And as always can i get some opinions on the Itouch4g currently ? any problems, any stand outs? I have never owned an apple product before so would getting this retina display device blow me out of my mind?

Can i also get guesses on Itouch5g's release date? Will it be in September 2011 or will it be released along side the Iphone5 in June 2011 or any other dates?

2. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

If you need an iPod, the 4G is a solid device, as long as you don't mind the next generation improving on it. The 5G should be released in September (just like every other year), likely with a better camera, possibly a better processor, and possibly more RAM.

3. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

About the next generation, who knows the details about the configuration, and the next one will launch in September, if you are so patient, you can wait it.

4. belltree macrumors 6502

We are right at the half way point since the 4G was released and when the 5G will be. I am in the same boat as you and am itching to buy one but I expect the at least following to be in the 5G:

• Improved camera (back facing).
    • Dual core A5.
    • Double the system memory.
    • Larger and improved screen (OLED?).
    • No more home button.
    • No more 8GB (16GB will be base).
    • Improved battery performance.

So it is a tough call. I (and yourself) have waited this long so why not just wait right through to September I figure. I am 65/35 (wait/buy) right now.

5. L I G H T I N G thread starter macrumors regular

Good points,I am leaning towards iTouch5 (75/25) almost certain it will come
    with better upgrades than the downgrade they did with Nano.

Any more opinions on whether I should get 4g or 5g, I am leaning towards one side but i have not made my final decision.

What I am hoping for is

-Better Camera
    -More RAM
    -GPS
    -IPS
    -Base model starts at 16 GB

How likely would the itouch5g contain the list above?

6. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

In my very, very amateur opinion:

-Better Camera? Extremely likely
    -More RAM? Likely
    -GPS? Unlikely
    -IPS? Possible/Fairly Likely
    -Base model starts at 16 GB? Possible

7. L I G H T I N G thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for response, GPS to me also would be a longshot to get in to the itouch5 but as long as the other four gets in , I'm content. I'm sure most people would also be looking on whether the camera will be better and more GB I suspect.

There is no way Apple will add Flash, larger screen or 3G, yet people still think that these will be implemented.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I'd just buy it now, you are talking about over 6 and a half months, assuming the event is the first week of September, it varies year by year. That is a long time to wait. I'd wait for the iPhone 5, iPad 2 at this point, but not the iPod Touch.

You can always resale and gain back a lot of what you spent. Keep it in good condition and they hold their value quite well. Bought a second gen for 299, sold it after the third gen was released for 245 in great condition.

9. L I G H T I N G thread starter macrumors regular

Well 6 months would be a long time but when September comes and the new itouch comes around, I would regret buying the itouch4.

Selling would be too much of a hassle for me, if only someone get leak out info on itouch5g......(an iphone 4 found in bar last year certainly caught my attention)

10. Aldrich macrumors newbie

only if you have the patience to wait for another six months to get the next generation device.

11. LeighAnna Jones macrumors 6502

It's 6 months. Buy it now and keep it in perfect condition. (Screen Protector immidiatley out of the box, case right out of the box... ect.

That way if you like the 5g better you can sell the 4G in near-perfect condition.

But buy it now. Even if it's already February six months is a LONG time to wait.

And how would selling be a hassle?

PayPal account, Ebay Account, Bid On Ebay, Pics Put Up, You wait, someone buys, you ship it, it's gone and you have $$$. It's that easy.

It takes about fifteen minutes to set up a bid, and about 15 minutes to get it into a box, and you could fit dropping it off at the post office into your schedule.

12. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

No doubt, iPod Touch 5G...

13. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

I'm a perfectionist who can't be bothered by incremental updates. When Apple retire the iPod touch line in late 2013, I'll get the culmination of all their tech in the 7G touch and call it a day.

14. L I G H T I N G thread starter macrumors regular

I have made my decision to wait a few months but i will continually bump this thread so it can be a resource to others.

15. iEvolution macrumors 65816

If you are going to wait you should just wait for the next generation which is in September or October generally.

Its simple, if the device in its current state suites your needs, get it! If it doesn't, wait to see what updates are coming later this year.

16. viperGTS macrumors 65816

You should wait for the iPhone 5 to br announced as that will give you a general idea of what will be on the ipod touch 5.

17. Sreno1 macrumors newbie

Are you gonna jailbreak it?

If you are gonna jailbreak it, get the 4G now. You won't have nearly as many problems and stuff, trust me it will just be a lot easier. But if you aren't going to, i'd just wait until the 5G comes out. I have a guide on jailbreaking the 4.2.1 here for free : http://www.ps3ipodjailbreaks.com/how-to-jailbreak-ipod-421.html
    Check out the rest of the site too while your there :)

18. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

19. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

Yeah, only 6 years later, not such a long time, and I believe at that time, my netbook will be replaced by iPod Touch.:D

20. L I G H T I N G thread starter macrumors regular

I am not in a rush so i guess i could wait

Hmm, but by May, June I dont think i will even be considering 4g, i will always be on the mindset of waiting 2 more months and then itouch5g will come out.

Current device is fabulous with its retina display, etc but I feel since the iTouch line is improving, i might as well wait for the better camera, more ram, more memory, etc.

21. Icehawk macrumors member

Icehawk

I have the iPod Touch 1G. I was set on getting the 4G but didn't ever go through with it. Now I'm looking at two options: iPad 2 + next gen iPod nano (for music on the go) or a iPod Touch 5g. Safe to say the touch wins. Not only is it the cheaper way, but I think I'd use it more. Don't mind the screen size at all.

My music library greatly surpasses my 8gb ipod touch right now, but I can work with it.

What if they add FM radio to the 5G? I could swear I remember either the 4G or 3G having the stuff inside it for it. I may not use it much, but I'd love to have it in it.

The way I see it, I have nothing to lose to wait a few months. If nothing else, I'll have the latest one and future iOS update proof for a few more generations.

I'm patient. I've waited this long. I might as well wait a few more months.

Depending on what model you have if you can wait, you might as well. Throw that money in the bank for a few months and let it earn you a few cents. It's only a few months.

22. aNYthing24 macrumors member

If you can wait 7 months, then do so. Otherwise, the iPod touch 4G isn't a bad buy at all. You can get an 8GB model for about $210 on Amazon.

I think all of the iPod's have a FM transmitter in them. The FCC requires it on every mobile device if I remember correctly. Apple just refuses to activate them on the iOS devices for whatever reason.

23. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I'd say to just get the iPod Touch 4th generation. September is still a long ways away and I don't know about you but I hate waiting.

24. L I G H T I N G thread starter macrumors regular

I will just wait it out and see what features the iPhone 5g has, and many of my friends are telling me the 4g will be obsolete in a few months.

Still hoping that there would be increased RAM, better camera, A5 processor, 16 GB and a radio transmitter would be icing on the cake.