iPOD USB connector stuck in car

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by High Desert, Feb 5, 2016.

1. High Desert macrumors regular

Bad news,, good news. I have a 2011 Subaru Forester and decided that I would plug my iPOD lightning USB cable in the connector and listen to music. Went in, worked fine, BUT, when I went to remove it, 2 men and a boy could net get that thing out by pulling on it. Called the dealer, and they said there was a 50 - 50 chance of getting it out without damaging something, most likely the car female USB connector. Ended up buying a new cable and figured the car had a permanent cable attached, until I saw this video, which gave me an idea. In the video, a men's shirt collar stay is used. It is just about impossible to find one of these nowadays. However, take a set of feeler gauges, about .027, and slide this into the connector between the male and female, and it will release the holder, and you can slide out the lightning USB. Apparently, the lightning USB connector has a deeper set of holes which does not allow, in some cases, the ability to slide in / out of the housing. Here is link for video: http://ios.wonderhowto.com/how-to/unstick-your-stuck-lightning-cable-from-usb-port-0139786/

Maybe someone can use this info

2. deaglecat macrumors 6502

Sounds like a good tip. Hope I don't ever find myself in this position though....