iPod (Video 30gb) crashing iTunes / restarting itself

Discussion in 'iPod' started by yinsan, Aug 13, 2010.

1. yinsan macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

I just found my old iPod Video in a corner (long story) and tried to get it working again and update the songs on the iPod.

Now connecting it to my computer results in one of two possible things:
    a) iTunes instantly crashes making it impossible to do anything with it or
    b) the iPod displays the red crossed circle saying that I should not disconnect the cable and then restarts with a loud "click", over and over again.

I really can't say when and why a) or b) occurs.
    I have a few other iPods (nano, nano, iPod Video 20gb, iPod Touch 32gb and iPhone 32gb) which ALL do work with iTunes flawlessly. So the problem must be the iPod itself.

I tried the following already:
    - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923
    (didnt work, didnt help sadly, even installed it for the first time on another computer)
    - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1339
    (can't work since it requires me to use iTunes which - clearly - doesn't work)

I also tried to get into the disc mode and connected it to my computer afterwards - again resulting in the same issue.

Now I managed to get into that diagnostics mode to see whether or not there's a reset option and at least to check it - it seems to be perfectly okay and there is no reset option as far as I could see.
    It also plays music just fine.

Any ideas how to fix that iPod? I don't care about the data on it - I just need it to work again.

Regards,
    Yin

2. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

You might have a hard drive problem on your hands there.

3. yinsan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply.

Are you talking about the iPod HD or my computers HD?

If you're referring to the iPod HD then I ran the diagnostics and the system said: everything alright so far.

My computers HD can't be the problem I think since I've checked with two computers and both display the same issue while every other iPod works flawlessly - and with "all other" I am talking about 4 other iPods which don't care for the issues of my iPod Video 30gb.

Any other ideas maybe?

4. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

I meant your iPod's HD. Don't always stand by what the diagnostic test says though, it's not foolproof.

5. yinsan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that might be the case since it clicks very loud when it restarts in that situation and as far as I know - loud clicking noises from a mechanical hard drive is not good - ever.

I tried finding info on that one but is there no way of resetting the iPod to factory settings without using iTunes software?