iPod Video and USB 1.1... SLOW

Discussion in 'iPod' started by wowser, Apr 30, 2007.

1. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

OK, plugging my 5th generation iPod into the Firewire port of my old eMac, I found out the hard way that Apple have decided to ditch such support. That leaves me with a USB 1.1 port. 30 minutes in, only 1.5 gb have filled up, another 26 to go. Hmm.

I know it's a long shot, but is there any way to get round this? Would some sort of adapter fool the iPod? It seems silly to upgrade a computer to meet the needs of an iPod.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Nope....stuck with it, because any adaptor would have to use USB 1.1 to get to it!

Unless you find a FW 400 to USB 2.0, if they make them...and I fully agree it sucks. I though USb 2.0 was bad!!

3. reubs macrumors 68000

Is USB 1.1 a hardware thing or a software thing? Is it possible to upgrade just the drive itself with a software download?

4. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

Its a hardware thing, unfortunantly. No way to flash 1.1 to 2

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah you're stuck. there really isn't anything you can do to get faster speeds, unless you downgrade you iPod to a 4th gen for Firewire usage.

this is part of the reason i hate that FW was taken out of the iPods.

6. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

Well, it's taking about 15 minutes to transfer each 1gb. Slow going! Will all this updating / charging mess up the battery life at all?